Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My t.v is on retail locked, idk wat button my grandson

Customer Question

my t.v is on retail locked, idk wat button my grandson pressed
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well i cant change the channels, i even googled it and said press 1234 which i did
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: my t.v is connected to cable only
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: Toshiba 32" , it happen yesterday afternoon
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;
Also ,Can you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
32l1400UC model
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Thanks

You said something about " retail lock " , do you mean like a store demo ?

Or is it asking for a password ***** ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i try to change the channel that pops up
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k and what does it say or ask ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i googled it n i it said to click 1234 and it didnt work hehehe
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I`m not asking about experts on google , I`m asking about what you see on the screen please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its stuck on channel 46 n it does show the movie
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Do you use cable remote to change the channels on TV?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thank you for not helping me
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi yes i do
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK - Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its toshiba 32" t.v and its on retail lock
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

I understand, did you get my previous reply?

Let me repeat it here....

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have no clue what button my grandson pressed and thats how it happen, since yesterday afternoon
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Are you getting me replies?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry i was busy typing to you and yes i have unplugged over night and undo the cable cord too
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, get Toshiba remote and press Menu button, does menu screen show up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry i tried that menu button also, did not work
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Use Toshiba remote that came with the TV, do not use cable remote to bring menu.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the remote came with the t.v
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thats the one i used
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, can you try the Ch/Input button located on side panel of TV, push it to see if it change the channel/ Input on TV?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i did that already, no luck
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the reatil lock would pop up un the screen t.v
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
oops retail*
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, let me check the related manual give me 5 minutes please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i shouldve told you that its a energy star toshiba, im not sure if all t.vs have that energy star thingy
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

You may please ignore energy star thing which is basically a marketing stunt.

Please turn Off the cable box power only, does the retail lock pop up disappear?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its not a cable box, i only connect the canle cord to the t.v, but ehich i will disconnect it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nope still there when i press a button
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

If it was a simple cable then how do you use cable remote for it?

I asked this question as first thing and you replied with yes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i use the remote that came with the t.v
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, does power button on TV or its remote work to turn it On or Off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i do prees the button it says retail lock disappear n the channrl number pops up afterwards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i can turn on/off withe remote
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info, there is no option/ setting of 'retail lock' in TV menu and it seems TV firmware has been corrupted for some reason which isn't allowing to do any thing, not even to get into menu to reset the TV to restore it default settings. You have already tried to unplug TV power for 10 minutes to reset that didn't work either. At this point you would need to replace main board of TV to resolve the problem. Please check with following supplier to get replacement main board or seach/ google it to get better price info...

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=32l1400U

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hi, do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks.