Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a mac mini attached to my Magnavox 40mf/401B/F7 I get

Customer Question

I have a mac mini attached to my Magnavox 40mf/401B/F7 I get the error message that there's a resolution mismatch, change the resolution on device. I have used a computer monitor to change resolutions on mac mini, but cannot get tv to recognize new settings. I have tried all three HDMI ports and a variety of display settings on the mac. Suggestions???
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey, Jack.
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Sorry Toni , had been out approx. 5 minutes when you replied last night .

I looked up your tv and these are the resolutions this tv can take so make sure you go in those and once you have the picture you could set the display properties of the MAC as " best for display "

Here they are ;

640 x 480

800 x 600

1,024 x 768

1,280 x 768

1,360 x 768

1,920 x 1,080

All at 60HZ refresh rate

You may also want to try the " game " mode in the TV's menu under PICTURE >>> SMART PICTURE and note that you should turn it off and on between hdmi connects or adjusts

This mac is made to be connected to TV's really and it should normally auto adjust for the optimal resolution when the HDMI handshake occurs between tv and mac

Perhaps the tv is outdated by the mac ??

Try it with something else like a dvd or video game that can output 1080p if the mac doesn`t work still

Let me know how that goes and if any of this does the trick then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed setting as you suggested. As I said, I already changed the settings on Mac using another display, but the TV will not read new settings. I have also connected a windows computer which displays fine. Thanks for your efforts. I was hoping for a little more, but I realize this was a stretch. Thanks!
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Then your mac mini and this tv are NOT compatible ,at least now you know and you can stop fiddling with it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It did work until I changed the settings. :(
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

And you don`t happen to recall what those settings where ?

By the way don`t just change the settings , turn the tv off and on again between changes

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hooked the mac back up to another external monitor and changed them back, but now the tv won't read. It may be more of a problem with the mac mini than the tv. When I get back to the office, I'll check to make sure the mac is set to automatically detect the monitor.
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Give that a try , it might do it as usually this is done automatically with the hdmi handshake but it might be different with this mac unit