Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Located Australia. My &O 9000 was purchased new in late

Customer Question

Located Australia. My B&O 9000 was purchased new in late 2000. type 2565 and serial###-##-#### ***** 2000 they cost A$6,000 - very very expensive!. Well maintained - perfect condition apart from laser problem. Symptons. Started 'missing' parts of CD - eg without any obvious movement of carriage jumped/missed maybe 30 secs of play. Tested - even new CDs, no dirt on laser etc etc. B&O Brisbane advise 99% chance failed laser and notwithstanding searching by 20+years experience 'B&O repair Guru' no replacement available for Mk1 &2 units. Your advice & assistance would be greatly appreciated as we are very attached to this iconic equipment.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi John and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, would you then attempt a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach?

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Still and if yes, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) of the only easy user doable:

• • exercise the traverse mechanism / laser mount by sliding from center to outermost a couple of times;
  • • check for possible dried lubricant on the worm gear / guide/slider rail of the traverse/lens mount mechanism.

In some instances, it may be necessary to clean off the old/dried lubricant and replace/re-lubricate.

And it has to be posted that the prescribed repair approach is replace the laser (optical pickup) + mount mechanism; i.e. traverse ass'y.

While it is not that easy to source parts, the traverse / optical pickup would almost always be a Philips part or equivalent. If considering replacing, then please determine and post back the Part Number of the currently installed laser / optical pickup in your Mk I or II version.