Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Located Australia. My &O 9000 was purchased new in late

Customer Question

Located Australia. My B&O 9000 was purchased new in late 2000. type 2565 and serial###-##-#### ***** 2000 they cost A$6,000 - very very expensive!. Well maintained - perfect condition apart from laser problem. Symptons. Started 'missing' parts of CD - eg without any obvious movement of carriage jumped/missed maybe 30 secs of play. Tested - even new CDs, no dirt on laser etc etc. B&O Brisbane advise 99% chance failed laser and notwithstanding searching by 20+years experience 'B&O repair Guru' no replacement available for Mk1 &2 units. Your advice & assistance would be greatly appreciated as we are very attached to this iconic equipment.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi John and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, would you then attempt a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach?

Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Still and if yes, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) of the only easy user doable:

• • exercise the traverse mechanism / laser mount by sliding from center to outermost a couple of times;
  • • check for possible dried lubricant on the worm gear / guide/slider rail of the traverse/lens mount mechanism.

In some instances, it may be necessary to clean off the old/dried lubricant and replace/re-lubricate.

And it has to be posted that the prescribed repair approach is replace the laser (optical pickup) + mount mechanism; i.e. traverse ass'y.

While it is not that easy to source parts, the traverse / optical pickup would almost always be a Philips part or equivalent. If considering replacing, then please determine and post back the Part Number of the currently installed laser / optical pickup in your Mk I or II version.