Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Tv will not shut off

Customer Question

tv will not shut off
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, First- sorry you're having problems.

Secondly, is the only problem the TV not shutting off? Meaning do all features and functions work as they shuld except for that?

Also how long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the tv works
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

So, just to clarify - EVERYTHING works except for being able to shut the TV off, correct?

Also, what remote is it you're using wit the set- the Toshiba, or a universal or cable remote?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have own the tv for 5yrs
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Joseph.

When you unplugged the tv, and plugged back in, did it come right back on by itself?

Will it power off with the power button on the side of the tv?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

If you are wanting a phone call, I'm happy to do so, but that is an additional service (charge) beyond the initial chat here, to proceed with a call, accept the offer I just sent. If you prefer to continue in chat, please answer the specific questions that have been asked abovce.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what can I do to fix problem?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I would need you to please provide the specific details that I've requested:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the tv comes back on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
power will cut it off but comes back on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

And it is not just the remote that cannot shut it off, it won't respond to the buttons on the side either?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it responds to all buttons on side and the remote but will come back on it self.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for under $300.

As an alternative, you could just set it up on a power strip and flip the switch on that manually to cut it off when not needed.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Joseph?