Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

On 4/25/16 I paid for "Just Answer TV Repair...was unable to

Customer Question

On 4/25/16 I paid for "Just Answer TV Repair...was unable to continue with asking for help....can you please help me now?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Can you please provide details about the issue in your TV?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a Toshiba 19AV500U....bought 5/8/2008. It is in a quest room and gets little use. But...now, I can't get anything but snow...no sound. The 'set up' says 'not available'. Can't make the darn thing work.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, what is connected to TV for channels, a cable box or antenna and do you use cable remote to change the channels on TV?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have antenna (have connected and disconneted a 'thousand times')
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, have you tried to run Auto Channel Search in Setup menu of TV?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
have tried everything the manual suggests. Also....I can't get the 'setup guide...it says 'not available'
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, press Menu button to get menu screen, do you get Setup, Video, Audio options there?

If so, select Setup option and find Auto Ch Search option and select it and press OK to run it.

Does TV scan channels?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got to auto search....I don't know what "OM" means so, I 'entered' auto search...it is searching Analog chanels...I assume the 'digital channels too? Have done this before and still nothing happens....okay, it just finished and says 'no channels found'...back to snow
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, Auto CH Search will do analog and digital channel search. OM was typo and I corrected it later with OK.

In same Setup menu, please check Input Configuration must be set on Antenna to do auto channel search.

If nothing works and TV goes back to snow that means TV builtin tuner has been defective and unable to process antenna signals, Sorry about this news. It need to replace the main board of TV where tuner box is mounted to resolve the problem and you would need to take the TV in repair shop and spend good money on this repair.

Alternate option is to get 'digital to analog TV converter box' that has builtin tuner, connect the converter box to any AV/HDMI input of TV to get box menu screen and using box remote run the channel search in converter box menu to get available local channels on the TV. Please click following link to choose any 'digital to analog TV converter box' of you choice..

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/digital-tv-converter-boxes

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=979935011

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay....thank you for your input. Was hoping to keep this particular TV...guess I need to decide if I want to put more into this one...or give up and buy a newer one.....thank you again
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome. You can keep this TV by hooking digital to analog TV converter box to it which would be available around $30 to $40 in local store. I hope these info will help to make decision about this TV or new replacement TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?