Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My smart TV (UN46F6300AFXZA) keeps downloading a selection

Customer Question

My smart TV (UN46F6300AFXZA) keeps downloading a selection from NETFLIX even after it has started to play. It used to download once only. The interval between downloads is getting shorter over the last 2-3 weeks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, First- sorry you're having problems.

Second, how long have you owned the set and when did the issue first occur?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 years old...
Problems started about 3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Thanks. Another question, which may or may not be related- how far from your router is your TV and how many OTHER devices are connected toy our router please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only 1 other device connected (but I tested with that device off).
Distance is about 18 feet.
Note: this had been working reliably for over a year before this started to occur.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Right, okay those conditions are all good- so I'm not looking at them as a cause of the issue.

Please perform FIRST a soft reboot of the TV and router:

1) Shut the TV off and unplug it from power.

2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. This drains residual current from the TV.

3) Plug the TV back in and turn it on.

4) Unplug your router from power and plug it back in. When it reboots it will dole out a fresh IP address to the TV.

5) Once everything comes back up try Netflix and see if you have the same problem. The continuous downloads only occurs when the TV's signal from the router is weak. Let me know what happens and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Are you still with me here?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Dan, once everything is back up- try Netflix. If it's still buffering or loading intermittently then I want you to check the TV's Network status and see what you can find. To do that it's:

Screen Menu > Network > Network Status

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did the first part.
The only change was that the interval between downloads increased.
I haven't tried the network status yet. My laptop and TV are separated so it will take a short while...
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay, the only other thing on a user level is to reset the TV to factory defaults and then set up the TV's internet connection from scratch. One or the other clears this issue and the last resort requires additional equipment which would be a network access point, or a stronger/higher quality router. I don't know what router you have, but I know that every router I've used in the $40-$60 range had similar issues with my Smart TV. I upgraded to a Netgear NightHawk (closer to $300) and I've never had a dropout issue since.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Network Status says "connected and ready to use".
As I said, this worked reliably for over a year.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I know, I've read everything posted. I've worked with solving these issues many times, whats intuitive is not always the fix. Somehow the TV is losing the connection. Reset and start from scratch/ if the TV has the same issue, you can't force it to not. It needs a stronger signal, boost, etc. it is downloading Netflix titles repeatedly because it is dropping connection. If you're 100% sure your router is not the issue however, then the TV's Mainboard needs to be replaced. In the field we will always replace the router before making hardware repairs to the TV. This is my experience. There isn't a pushbutton "force" to make the TV stay connected.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse here though. The next step is to reset the TV to factory defaults and setup the internet connection as if the TV were new and see if that solves the issue.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.