Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

LG menu's and embedded images and fonts are unreadable and

Customer Question

LG menu's and embedded images and fonts are unreadable and jumpy. Video quality of tv and movies is fine. I reset it and am at the part to where you setup and it has the little animated penguin pressing the okay button on the remote. The image is jumpy. What could have caused the issue it was working fine yesterday. but basically about 12 hours after owning the tv the issue began.
LG 50UF8300
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, This is generally caused by a processor glitch in the TV which a basic reboot will usually cure.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the native MENU's are still jumpy.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've tried resetting it. I tried disconnecting the power holding the power on the tv in for 10 sec and releasing it. Plugged it back up the jumpy images and unreadable menus still exist?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

That's bad news I'm afraid and is a processor issue with the set. Have you tried re-pairing the Magic Remote with the TV?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The remote can pair with the tv but with jumpy images and unreadable menus makes it a difficult trick and even after paired the issue continues.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that and there are no settings or adjustments in the TV that will correct this- it indicates a processor issue. The TV's native MENU's supersede ALL settings or adjustments, and when the MENU's appear skewed, jumpy or erratic, it means the TV has an internal fault. Unfortunately the only thing on a user level you can try is to leave the TV unplugged from power for several hours or more- but even then, this is NOT NORMAL operation of the TV and is usually the shape of things to come. I would strongly suggest contacting the retailer for an exchange before the 30 day exchange period is over and you're left with having to deal with LG for a warranty repair (which could leave you without a TV for 4-6 weeks).