Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Panasonic tc-p55st50 HDMI ports 't work

Customer Question

My Panasonic tc-p55st50 HDMI ports don't work
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Have you tried more than one "Source" on the TV (cable/SAT box, DVD, etc.) with the same issue?

Additionally have you tried multiple cables?

What exactly do you see on the screen when you select an HDMI Input?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Let me know when you're able to see my reply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried different cables and different sources. Keep getting the no input message. Cable sound works fine on receiver, just no visual on tv. I can watch internet on tv, but then I have no sound on tv or receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, so what receiver are you talking about here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's an older Denon one 2006 we got it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All sources work on receiver
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I take that back, not sure if blu Ray does because we can see screen to start movie
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, let's solve this. Get the Denon out of the mix, since HDMI outs on receiver are the most common failure. Please connect whatever source it is you're having a problem with (cable. sat box, etc.) DIRECTLY to the TV using an HDMI cable and let me know if it displays. What we're doing is determining if the Denon or the TV are the root cause of the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried that, I connect hdmi from Comcast cable box to tv, removed Denon altogether, tried 2 different hdmi cables, nothing, no picture, no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, so cable box is not working on the TV, but a Blu Ray player IS correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

So you can see the Blu Ray screen, but cannot see the cable box screen even if you connect the cable box directly to the TV- YES?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, the only visual I can get on tv is when I access internet on tv (i.e. Netflix, you tube), but I have sound. no visual from cable or blu Ray on tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay got it. This means the HDMI processing in the TV has failed, which is not something that can be fixed via any settings or adjustments- it's a hardware issue and requires replacement of the Mainboard in the TV. This is a plug and play board, meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Alternatively a shop will generally charge $300 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the following link:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dang, thanks for your help
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome and sorry for the bad news. If this is something you're looking to repair yourself, let me know and I can dig deeper for a source for the board. Other than that, sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?