Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

42pt250e-da - television has turned itself off. will turn on

Customer Question

42pt250e-da - television has turned itself off. will turn on for a couple seconds and turns itself back off? will not stay on. can hear double click when turning on with remote. Television is 2 years old. can you help? thanks, Homer
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello Homer- first, sorry you're having problems.

Secondly when a set is shutting itself off after first being turned on- it's usually a hardware issue or short-circuit in the TV causing this, so helping with this is going to require diagnosing and then replacing the offending part in most cases.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Let me know when you're able to see my reply.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. The site automatically sends that offer, it's not something I have control over. If you need assistance, simply reply back on this page.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
tried hard reset. no help
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay that's the only thing on a user level you can try, as I indicated this is a hardware issue- there's no settings or adjustments in the TV that will cause or prevent the set from shutting off.

That said, if you're looking to repair this yourself then I will need you to dig a little deeper and we can sort this.

However if you're not comfortable with this type of repair a shop will generally charge $200-$250 parts and labor to fix this.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if you're looking to perform a DIY repair on the set then reply back here and we can proceed.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.