Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

Epson 8000i has a red color shift which starts about the

Customer Question

epson 8000i has a red color shift which starts about the center and gets worse toward the right side. ie: all images are duplicate in red to the left of the image. The blue and green are directly on top of each other as they should be but the red has shifted to the left and there is also a red bar down the right side. red is out of convergence and I can find no convergence adjustments. Do I need to replace a circuit board to correct this problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning Pete, do you have a solution to the problem or advice on my next step?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

What type of input device are you using with the projector?

What type of input cable are you using?

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Try using a different cable or different input device, and let me know if the same problem affects all input types.

Try adjusting the focus ring on the projector. Adjust the Brightness and Contrast settings on the Video main menu. If you are viewing a computer image, also try adjusting the Comp Tracking and Comp Sync buttons on the projector's control panel.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Let me know the results...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete, I am a technician and have tried all this. we use it on a system at Church, all signals come through the Computer input. I have it at my shop at home to service the problem. I have done the above items that I sent in the initial problem.
What I need to know is if there is a way to adjust this somehow or which circuit board I need to replace to fix this problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, then it is an internal problem if all inputs are affected in the same way - did it get a knock or anything?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, it is mounted to the ceiling 16 feet in the air. about 3 weeks ago the red shifted while in the middle of a program. Really weird. the shift starts around the middle of the screen and worsens toward the right. the green and blue are still perfect.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the unit is 16 years old but only had 1200 hours on the bulb. this unit does not get a lot of use but we have Bible School in two weeks and it will be used every night for a week.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Leaving computer now. My phone will let me know when I get an email from you.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Have you removed it from the ceiling yet?

You will have to look inside it to check if anything has shifted, e.g. the optics or the lens.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the projector on my work bench in front of me. I have completely dissembled the unit, thoroughly cleaned including the removal and replacement of all lenses and reflectors, installed a new lamp, examined all circuit boards for anything noticeably wrong and put it all back together and I have the same problem...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to know what circuit board I need or what needs to be done, replaced, adjusted to fix the problem as stated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have you been able to figure out what board or part(s) I need to replace or repair in order to correct this problem yet?