Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a 110v toshiba 23HLV86 TV/DVD player that was plugged

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 110v toshiba 23HLV86 TV/DVD player that was plugged into 220v by the previous owner here in Germany (we're both military. Prior owner thought the tv was 100-240v). I just replaced the power board with a same model board number, supposedly compatible CEF198A(3) through eBay that was reported tested/working prior to salvage from a smaller 20HLV86 model. There do appear to be a number of design differences, but whether a better version or cheaper parts, I chalked that up to that up to "progress" and hoped for the best.
The TV now powers on (solid red standby light turns solid green) both via remote and power button and the DVD player makes some noise as if resetting. I can see the back light is functional as the screen glows lightly and uniformly when turned on.
Unfortunately the set shows no picture and generates a noticeable mid frequency maybe 350hz (?) hum. Sounds higher than ~220hz generated by other electrical here and lower than a standard "A" 440hz tuner.
Any ideas what else generally gets toasted? I was hoping the damage was restricted to the power board.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi John and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please re-confirm the presence and consistency of the different voltages pin-by-pin of each connector of this substitute power supply board.

Still, the described symptom even with the power supply replaced almost always point to an overload / over current, possibly a short or near short. More particularly, potential suspects after a review of the schematics/Service Manual are:

• • low or missing sub B+ from the substitute power supply board (least likely);
  • HDMI Scaler PCB regulators IC3201, IC3202, IC3600 & IC3602 (less likely);
  • • AV sound amp IC302 (likely);
  • • AV PCB P. Converter & regulators IC6402 & IC6403 (most likely).