Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

58" Vizio I've owned 3 yrs 5 months, the chip needs

Customer Question

58" Vizio I've owned 3 yrs 5 months, the chip needs to be replaced. What do you suggest I do to repair this problem? I was told large flat screen televisions don't last more than three years because the chip inserted.42" Vizio I've owned 8 yrs 6 months. No audio or visual gray screen showing. HELP!Thank youemail***@******.***
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, What chip are you talking about here please?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I can tell you right now with 100% certainty, there is NO CHIP you can take out of the TV and no parts in the TV that are not required for operation. Who exactly mentioned a removable chip that makes the TV break?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told manufactors input a chip in large flat screens televisions to last no longer than 3yrs. As I've stated my 58" lasted 3yrs 5months.
The television now showing a black screen. This process starting about three months ago, and yesterday in finally ended.
The 42" ended with a loud noise and now as I've stated no visual or audio.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A friend had the same experience in southeastern California called a tech and he stated the chip processed and replaced and said it will never happen again.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

That's simply not true. We're not manufacturers and also not affiliated with any specific TV company. We repair all make and model TV on here daily and the reason they fail is CHEAP Chinese manufacturing. The same part doesn't always fail on these sets either- sometimes it's the screen. sometimes the Mainboard, others it's the power supply. Anyone that tells you there's a self-destruct chip might subscribe to some conspiracy theories- but they are incorrect.

That being said, the possible causes of this issue on your TV (which is well over 3 years old anyhow) is either the power supply, LCD controller or the Mainboard.

When you turn the set on, if you press Input or MENU will these indicators show up on the screen?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need assistance in finding out what's actually wrong with your TV.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The television no longer has a signal. I'm not paying an additional $26 dollars, I'm paying $28 dollars for this communication.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I'm not asking you for any additional mo ies- that's the site, I can't even see what they're sending youl

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What assistance are you recommending to find out what is wrong the television.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

Previous expert has opted out, phone call offer for $26 is automated sent by website system, feel free to ignore it if you don't want the phone call assistance and prefer text chat format here.

- What does the power light do on TV front when turn On the TV?

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Hi, do you need any further assistance with this question?