Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Morning. I have a 46' LG LCD TV, model 46LD550, that had

Customer Question

Morning. I have a 46' LG LCD TV, model 46LD550, that had been working for about five years until yesterday, when my dad complained he could not turn the TV on. I checked the remote control and its batteries and there was no issue with these. I tried unplugging the TV for about one minute and nothing was solved. I noticed there was a power/standby indicator light blinking slowly in red. When I tried turning the TV on using the remote, the light was solid red, but TV was not turned on. When I did it a second time, the light was back to slow blinking. Was the TV dead?
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: No, this was the first time. And no, I didn't unplug the TV and leave it for few hours.
JA: Have you done any troubleshooting yet?
Customer: I checked the troubleshooting section of the manual and I didn't see a solution or method to solve this problem. We didn't do anything unusual with it from the time we got it until now. I was exhausted last night I couldn't think of the root cause of the problem.
JA: The TV expert can get you a quick fix for this. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not at this time. But who was the TV expert you are about to introduce? Does he/she knows about LG TV?
JA: We find the TV Technician who is best qualified to answer your question and available soon. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello, First- Sorry you're having problems. Secondly, while the TV is not "Dead"- these symptoms do indicate a hardware failure that has occurred within the set in most cases, and may require replacement of a component (the power supply board is mot common and likely here). However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Are you still with me here? Having the same problem?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried it already as instructed. It didn't work. So I need you to call me, which I did.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. The site automatically sends that offer, it's not something I have control over. A phone call isn't going to fix the TV anyways, as I had posted above that IF the reset did not work that it indicates HARDWARE FAILURE in the set. So, that being said, I need you to reply back with exactly what the TV did after the reset, and also are you looking to repair this yourself? If you are, then I will search for and pull up the part needed and post a link to the part here. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I only have about 15 minutes before I must be at work, and I'll be working until 9:30PM (US Pacific Time). As said, I tried as instructed, and nothing worked. What's the next step?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
PLEASE READ AND REVIEW MY ABOVE REPLY.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
If you're looking to repair the set yourself, the component that needs to be replaced (if the symptoms are exactly the same as when you first posted) is the Power Board and it is available at the link below for $50 for your set: http://www.tvpartsguy.com/lg-46ld550-ub-power-supply-board-eax61289601-11-lgp47-10ls-eay60869506/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GuGPjWBsnWSpOxLdD04lQBVBpwnS_QJqc69oi4c3CMYaAo_48P8HAQ
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will charge $250 parts and labor for this repair and in that case it makes more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set versus repairs, as a brand new 42" LED can be purchased for around $300. However if you'd like a 2nd opinion or ant to inquire on repairs then a shop can be located at the link below in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Other that that, there are no quick fixes for this and I'm sorry for the bad news here. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After unplugging the TV, held power button for 10 seconds, plugged it, and pressed power button, all I saw was red power/standby indicator light was flashing slowly in red. And the reaction was the same after second and third attempts. And no, I don't know how to repair TV and I have no plan to purchase new TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
The answer is above. Repairs at a shop cost the same as replacement. We can't change the facts here- it is what it is I'm afraid. All of the possible courses of action are outlined above. These factors are beyond my control. If you need anything else let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me think about it first, as I must be at work soon. I'll let you know if I have additional questions or information. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Okay no problem, you can review the page as needed at anytime- it never closes. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.