Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a model E701i-A3. Had a lighting storm yesterday and

Customer Question

I have a model E701i-A3. Had a lighting storm yesterday and now TV will not turn on. I know the outlet has power, but TV does nothing when power button pushed. Is there a fuse that I can change? Any other suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
What is the tv doing now if anything ?Is there a light or blinking light at the front , clicking sound from inside when you plug in the power cord or try to turn it on ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no light and no sound. Totally dark and silent.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
O.k then the very first suspect will be your power board .Anything else got killed with this , like the cable box for example ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
There are 2 ways a lightning storm will affect a tv , through the cable system and electrical systemThe first will usually travel through the cable box and affect it as well
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the cable modem had to be replaced this morning.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
O.k then the TV's main board cannot be discounted as defective as well .The lightning can do serious damage .Can you give me a few minutes ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for waiting .The parts are not all that expensive with the main board that goes for $80 and the power board for $60 so even if both boards are affected you would have some $140 in parts which is better than a new tv .How long have you had this tv now ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
You can see the main board and power supply at the link below ;http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=E701i-A3Note that the version of yours would have to be verified before ordering.If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 depending on the parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.comThis will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if you have an extended warranty then don`t bother with that and contact your insurance , just don`t mention the storm , just say that it failed and no one will know the difference Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help . Thank you