Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My Philip's TV is stuck on the menu. The remote doesn't work

Customer Question

My Philip's TV is stuck on the menu. The remote doesn't work and the only buttons in the TV the work are power and source
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello, First- Sorry you're having problems. Secondly, when you mention the Source button does work. when you change Source- does the MENU stay on the screen? Also is there a chance the MENU button on the TV itself is loose or stuck (I simply want to rule out any basic issues)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. And there are no loose buttons
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
You never replied back to what exactly you see on the screen when you change the Source??
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
You said the MENU is stuck on the screen, I asked if changing the Source setting still shows the MENU- you replied No. So the MENU does NOT show when you change the source? Please elaborate.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The menu screen goes away and the options for hdmi1 etc appear.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
what specific source setting shows the MENU? Meaning what is connected to the TV that you are trying to view with the MENU stuck on the screen?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing is connected at this point. It is only plugged in to the wall.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
what source setting is showing the MENU then.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tv
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Have you tired to connect a DVD player to TV as a test to get picture and sound?Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We cannot change the source. None of the buttons will work
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
pressing Source/ Input button on TV doesn't change input source?Does Menu button work?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The source button and menu button are the only two buttons that work. This happened a few months ago and we left it unplugged for a few weeks and it worked fine. We have left it unplugged for a week hoping that would work again and it isn't
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to hear that this time it didn't work. When you say source button work, if you press it few times, do you get different video input source on TV like TV, HDMI-1, AV or Component etc?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Those options pop up but there is no way to change them
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
OK, if you press Source button a few times/ repeatedly it will change video input source, please try it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
did you get my previous reply?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did not. When you first hit source the channel number shows up then the main menu screen pops up for a few seconds and the channel not available. At that point you can hit source source again and the hdmi, component menu comes up. As soon as you release the source button it goes back to the channel not available screen
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
I understand, TV tuner is default video source and when TV doesn't get video signal on other video inputs then it goes back to default video source (TV tuner) and shows no channel available etc because no antenna is plugged into TV.Can you connect a video source into HDIM or any other video input of TV, play it then push Source button to see if TV displays picture and stays on that input source?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It will not. It does the same thing
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
OK, I hope the DVD player (or whatever video device it is) power would be On and connected correctly to TV.I'm working on it and get back to you in 10 minutes, is this OK?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is hooked up correctly
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the info, we have tried all user level things to correct the problem, source button is working but not implementing the command correctly that points towards main board internal failure where main controller chip is mounted and controls all the functions of TV, you would need to replace main board of TV which will help to resolve the problem. Please check with following board supplier to get identical main board if you want to do-it-yourself..http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=58PFL4609%2FF7If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...http://www.tvrepairpros.com/I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Not sure what happens.