Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv sets outside all winter and as i went to turn it on

Customer Question

my tv sets outside all winter and as i went to turn it on this summer all i get is sound and no pictire the power goes on and then the green light will flash fifteen times and it shuts down and then it will go on again and then repeats itself i have tried rebooting it and no sucess and also i have replaced the bulb model 52hm95 sn 25533727
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello Don, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand, it is not good to leave electronics outside in the winter or any other temperature extremes- we commonly see failures due to that. That said, we need to dig deeper to determine what exactly has failed in the set. 1) Where did ypu purchase the replacement lamp from and for how much? 2) Does the TV cycle itself around 10 times to try and spark the lamp and then time out? 3) Are there ANY blinking or lit indicator LED's on the front of the TV?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
purchase was ebay 45.00
it does that and as it does that it is also humming so to speak
just the red and green and the red comes on first and then the green and the the green flashes 15 times and the tv shuts down and then it will restart and continues to recycle through the same cycle
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. Those are the textbook symptoms when the TV cannot spark the lamp. This can be caused by one of the following:1) Lamp is bad, or not in spec (Toshiba and all other DLP manufacturers specify using ONLY the OEM lamps for these TV's- which are close to $90 dealer cost- and the cheap ones we se on Amazon and eBay are not proper lamps, but rather cheaply made clones). 2) The ballast has failed. The ballast is the lamp power supply and provides high voltage to spark the lamp. 3) The power supply board in the TV which provides voltage to the ballast has failed. Those possible causes are listed in the order that we see them fail. So the lamp, even if brand new- since it is not an OEM lamp is the most likely and common cause at this point. Any other checks can only be made knowing the lamp is the correct OEM unit, and would require opening up the set and taking voltage readings using a meter. That said, what is your experience with repairs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what then must do to get it running
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is the ballast located in the lamp
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also how can i tell the original lamp is bad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
If you used a $45 lamp then that is not recommended and the proper OEM lamp should be tried first as stated. You cannot tell if a lamp is good or bad by looking at it. You must assume that lamp is bad since it's the most common cause of the problem. If the issue goes beyond that then voltages testing needs to be done inside the TV. No the ballast is not located inside the lamp- it is a board that is located in the TV and has two wires that plug into the lamp. I also asked what your experience is with repairs, and you asked "what must do to get it running". I can't tell you since I do not know what your experience is. For starters I can provide the link to the correct OEM lamp for the set. Then a link to a repair center if you're unable to measure voltages in the TV. I will post back shortly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if i replace the lamp with a oem bulb will that solve the problem
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
I'm afraid I cannot explain it any better, so I will opt out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i dont feel u solved my proplem all u did for me was guesswork
Customer: replied 6 months ago.