Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have lost the remote to my Samsung ln40c550 tv and the

Customer Question

I have lost the remote to my Samsung ln40c550 tv and the control panel on the bottom right doesn't respond. The tv has been on so when I tried to connect a universal remote to it this morning and it did in fact connect and turned the tv off which is what the directions had said to I thought I was good to go Now the tv won't come back on, is non responsive to the universal remote and the control panel ion the front of the tv is still not responding. How else can I turn this tv on?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand if the control panel on the TV is not responding- this indicates a hardware failure with the set. There's no way to force the power button into working if it's not working, and that is how you turn the TV on- no other controls do that. So, please tell me- at this point, is the power light on the TV LIT or Blinking, or is it completely Dead (as if the set were not turned on)? Let me know and we can continue.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Let me know when you can see my reply.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common). However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tv turns on when I use an app that came stock on my lgv10 phone but unfortunately I dropped it in the pool yesterday and I can't seem to be able to find that same app anywhere. Even when the tv is on there is no power indication from what appears to be the control panel on the front of the tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. Here's the thing. If your power button does not turn the TV on neither is your app on your phone. If you are saying there's no power light on the TV right now- then you have a hardware failure in the set. Did you try those steps I posted above? If so, what happened?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dnevermind this is not going to help me. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Never mind this is not going to help me. I do not want to be charged for this service. Thank you. Samantha Marcantonio