Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a sony bravia tv model number KDL-52V4100. 3 weeks

Customer Question

I have a sony bravia tv model number KDL-52V4100. 3 weeks ago it started flickering. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does seem to be getting worse. Now the flickering occurs and then the picture looks like a photo negative
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Sorry you're having problems. The flickering and negative image can be caused by the source as well as the TV. That said, what is connected to the TV for sources (for example: Cable/SAT box, DVD, etc.) and do ALL sources appear the same? Lastly if you grab the original Sony remote and press the HOME/MENU button, doe the set's MENU appear the same (flickering and as a negative image)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The only thing connected is a directv box. Its been connected for a long time and has never been an issue. Yes it still does it in the menu setting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. If the TV's native MENU does the same thing then this indicates a hardware failure in the TV. The part that has failed is called the T-con board, and processes all of the Video to the screen in the set. This typically requires replacement of that board- which is something I can help you with. However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Please let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try that. Im have to go, had unexpected company. Can I contact you at another time
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
You can reply back here at anytime by, Bookmarking the Page/Add to Favorites, logging onto, then clicking on "My Questions", or by clicking on any of the links in the Reply E-mails the site sends you.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Also that board is below for $25 for your set if the hard reset does not work: It doesn't require any soldering or special tools- it's plug and play.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?