Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Panasonic TC-P55VT30 that the led light blinks 7

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic TC-P55VT30 that the led light blinks 7 times. I wasn't in the room when my TV stopped working so I do not know anything more than it blinks 7 times when powered on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty scan or sustain board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is at the end of its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300-400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though most parts cannot even be found any longer.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $600 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for taking so long, I am comfortable with testing/repairing myself although I'm not sure if I will have all the right equipment. I have some construction background and was raised in a family auto mechanics. When I get home tonight I will follow the directions provided, but I'm sure that something(s) will need to be replaced. I just need guidance on finding out which part to replace, part number and procedure to follow to put it all back together.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

The 7 blink can be a complicated one, there are multiple parts that could cause this, and it can be a difficult diagnostic process even for an experienced tech. Finding the parts is equally difficult. I can certainly work through it with you, but step by step guidance is beyond what the initial conversation here would cover. You can start though with a visual inspection inside to see if there are any obviously damaged/burned components, etc.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
According the repair technician the SC board needs to be replaced, cost is $519.60 at which $227.95 is the cost of the board. I declined the service and said I would come by and pick up the TV at which time I plan to replace the board myself. Without having the TV in my presence, I would like to confirm the part number I found #TXN/A1NSUUS. Is there a way you can verify this information? When searching for the replacement part, all I find are SC board kits, it there no one who sells the actual replacement board?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Well I can verify what would be the likely board, BUT there are different hardware revisions out there, and you really want to order the exact part in your set and get the matching replacement.

That part number you sent is for the A board.

That SC board would be TNPA5335BK, but is virtually impossible to find.

There are plenty of parts kits to replace the commonly failed components on the board, but you need some good soldering skills to do that repair and not cause more damage.

There is a refurbishment option, where you send your board in and have it repaired, then sent back for you to reinstall: http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/txnsc1nvuub-panasonic-sc-tnpa5335ba-or-tnpa5335bk/

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Were you able to get the tv back and send the board in for rework?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Picking the TV up Saturday. Will remove part and mail 5/31/16.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the update, hopefully that will resolve the issue for you.