Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

When I put on my TV, it says "no signal" and shuts off. I

Customer Question

When I put on my TV, it says "no signal" and shuts off. I called the cable co. and the cable is okay, it is the TV. What can I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model is VX37L-HDTV / Cable Box and a DVD/VCR combination are connected to the TV.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the info.How long the TV stays On and does it show input name on screen along with no-signal message?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the $26. to talk live in addition to the $31.00?
The TV goes off in like 3 seconds, doesn't give me time to work with the menu or "input" to make sure its set to TV.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
Yes, phone call offer would cost additional $26 and we can continue here in text chat if you prefer it.This kind of problem occurs when TV has set on PC/RGB input source (by mistake) while there is no computer connected to RGB/ VGA input of TV as it works as monitor that needs PC signals to stay On so TV turns On, found no PC signals thus switches Off whith no-signal message.There are two solutions, either turn On the TV and quickly press the Input button on TV or its remote to change the input source (besides the RGB input) to get it stay On then press input button to select correct video input to get signals of connected video device.Next option is to connect a PC through VGA cable into RGB PC input of TV, turn On PC and TV to get it On then press input button to change the video input in TV.Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done what you suggested numerous times quickly pressing input button on TV and tried it on remote but TV goes off too fast. Have been trying this for the last 4 days. I am not going to hook a computer up to the TV as this is too complicated for me. If that's all you got it was of no help. I will have to get a TV Technician to come to my house. I hope I am not charged the $31.00 as it didn't solve my problem. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
TV tech will try the same things that I have already told you. Connecting a PC or laptop to VGA input of TV isn't complicated work, all you need to plug the cable into RGB PC input at back of TV, turn On the PC then turn On the TV and switch the input mode of TV to get it working.Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only have a desktop, no laptop.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
Desktop would have RGB output, please check at rear of desktop PC and RGB output jack would be similar to as shown in below image link..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a Mac desktop which is in another room. I am 66 years old and not computer savvy, if I unhook this computer to bring it near the TV, I will probably screw up the computer along with the TV. Nothing I can do but get a technician to come to the house.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
OK, tell the TV tech to bring a laptop with him to hook it into TV.Thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.
Please contact customer service at given link/ number for billing issue and do not rate the answer, leave it as it is. Call USA:(###) ###-####nited Kingdom - 0***-***-**** Ireland - 1800-760-906Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Although Tech tried to help what he suggested where things that I already done. I would like a refund.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago. Click above link to contact customer service.