Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

My brand new Samsung...I'm watching tv and the anchor's voice

Customer Question

my brand new Samsung...I'm watching tv and the anchor's voice starts getting real loud, then immediately, it turns into a loud jittering, as though possessed. It increasingly gets louder, and then 20 to 30 seconds later, all sound stops. I have to play with the mute on/off tab on the remote, or reboot the tv. This has happened three times in about 12 hours of tv time since I bought it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does this happen with any of the tvs own internal sources, such as netflix? Do you have any other devices other than the bell box connected to it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have two tvs one a Panasonic in the bedroom, then the new tv Samsung, in the living room, where the Bell receiver is. There is a little wireless box in the bedroom so that I can watch both tvs without having or needing a receiver for each. I never had that sound effect on my Panasonic which I've had for 7 years.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ps though I got this tv in January, I spend most of y time watching the other tv in the bedroom, cause I have health issues. I was watching news shows when it happened, all three times. Again, I've maybe spent a total of 12 hours, maybe less, watching that Samsung tv.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's like a jittering, the voice gets really loud, and jitters, then all sound stops.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no other devices.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay seems you are busy. I will check back in a few hours.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I missed you earlier. When you send multiple replies separately, they all get lost in the queue. Just because the other tv and a prior one may have been working fine does not preclude the possibility of a box issue.Initially, please reboot the bell box by unplugging power to it for 60 seconds, just to get that out of the way.If the problem continues, it really is imperative that we test the tv further with another device/source to isolate the problem, as that is the only way we can properly address the issue.You can use the tvs "smart" apps such as netflix, youtube, etc to see if it happens there, or you can test another device with it like dvd player. Once you have that testing done, I'll be able to tell you how to fix the problem. Thank you,Nathan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, I don't know how to test it, as you say. I could playnetflix, but I just cancelled my, how else to test it? I'm a monk, and I am also disabled due to physical issues, and I'm poor,so I can't just go out and buy a game console, or a bluray, how else to test?? I do think that thisis the tv, but I don't know how to test. thanks for your help Nathan.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
I agree the tv is the likely issue, but we need to test something besides the bell connection to be sure.You don't have to do netflix, there are other apps on the tv that are free, such as the youtube app, or hulu.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a cell phone. again, I m'a monk a Buddhist ® monk and Itry to live simply. the only reason I have tv is because of my physical disabilities. I will look at the suggestions tomorrow and spend time to fix this. Then I will let you know. If I listen to Hulu, or YouTube, and that same noise occurs, then what does that tell us?Talk within a couple days. I want to fix this because this is brand new, and I just don't want the warranty to run out and then suddenly I'm stuck with a defective product. I think the image quality (via HDMI) is very poor, pixelated, and that too is disappointed. Be well. And Hulu, isn't that an application where you have so sign up, and then you can watch tv shows, movies, etc. And try to see if the noise reproduces itself? And what will that tell us? Don't we need our own hardware with Hulu?
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
I was not referring to a cell phone. If you use hulu, youtube, etc that would mean that it is an internal hardware issue in the tv itself. Hulu is one of the apps built into the "smart" tv functions, no external device required.At that point we'd try some steps to resolve it such as factory resetting the tv and updating the software. I had not seen the picture quality mentioned before, but that could point to a hardware issue as well. The tv is still new enough at this point that you should be covered under warranty if it needs repairs.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI Nathan, Ok you say if I use Hulu (which Ithought one needs to have extra external hardware, like a box, etc., to use) or YouTube, and the problem reproduces itself there, then the problem is with the television, and if it doesn't reproduce itself,then the problem is with Bell?What I will do is log back onto Netflix, for a month, that is really cheap and I can sit and watch tv for hours. That would be hard to do on YouTube, watching video,for hours..Also, just yesterday, this happened two different times, again. I do have warranty but Samsung says they want me to test first, on like a game console, or blu-ray player, neither of which I have, own, or need. I will test. I think that you have given me more options than the Samsung people so I thank you for your time. I think we have given this issue enough time. I thought if I explained the weird jittering noise (the picture quality, I think, is just Samsung, I don't think they are as good quality as Panasonic because myPanasonic tv color is so beautiful) that a technician could tell me what the issue was. For me it made sense to think its the tv, since I have never had this kind of problem with my Panasonic tv, and this only started happening when I got this new Samsung tv, for my living room.Kind thanks! I can't do phone because I don't have a cell phone, but I thank you for the help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hulu is an app on the tv, one of the built in "smart" functions, just like netflix is, or amazon instant video, etc. If you can do the suggested test with the built in netflix app (or any other built in app) and have the issue, that would confirm both to me and to samsung (for warranty purposes) that it is a tv issue.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?