Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I hooked up a tv via a splitter from cable going to my computer.

Customer Question

I hooked up a tv via a splitter from cable going to my computer. all I get is channel not available message. I followed the procedure in tv manual for it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: just told you.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: I have a tv connected to a cable box in another room
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem , please send me a reply when you see this ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you help ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
HelloCan you tell me what type of splitter we are talking about ?Does it have a model number on it or just give me the description ?I would also require the tv`s model number on the back cover please ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Definitely not a standard setup here if your tv needs to be set in tv mode and looking for channels , normally a vga or hdmi cable is used , not coaxial rf
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
splitter -2 way digital plus.tv -model-phillips 37pfl5322d/37
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
You are saying that you connect this splitter on the pc and then on the tv ?what else is connected to that splitter ?A splitter implies that there are 3 devices connected .Are we talking about a monitor perhaps ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can't I just get some basic tv stations without the use of a cable box ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
Is that a VGA splitter ?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
The short answer to that is NO unless you connect an antenna for local stations for example or get subscriptions to websites like Netflix .Are you trying to get cable signal without a cable box ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the cable comes out of the wall to the splitter then one cable off the splitter to the computer the other goes directly mto the back of the tv
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.
I`m sorry but I`m not sure I can help you so I will opt out and repost your questionYou don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you please clarify specifically what cable/cord you have connected here?Is the side that is split to your computer actually going to a cable modem, for internet?What did you do on the tv in order to configure this?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan