Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We have a Sony Bravia kdl32ml130 we purchased in December

Customer Question

Hello we have a Sony Bravia kdl32ml130 we purchased in December of 2007. The tv started acting up about 9 mos ago. It started with loud popping noises tv would go black then comeback on then repeated with loud popping noises. I called directv tech said HDMI1 was no longer working so switch tv over to HDMI2. Worked fine till 2 Days ago. Same popping noises followed by blank screen. Has this issue ever been reported with this model? Also could a lightning storm cause this problem? Is this repairable? The picture is crystal clear when turned on but after 30 min or so the popping starts. Please advise. Thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Michael. I'm not finding your response to my questions. Can you tell me where I should find it please. Thank you
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Hello and Welcome. My name is***** seems offline and I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Do you have any other video source/ device such as DVD/ Bluray to connect into HDMI input of TV just to verify if TV displays normal picture and sound?Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We do not have another device. We were told by directv that HDMI1 wasn't working possibly due to lightning storm.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Sorry about delayed reply, I was away from computer.What you have already been tried to correct the problem?So I'll avoid those steps in troubleshooting to save your time.Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Did you get above reply?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry I wasn't quite sure I understood question. So with Directv already troubleshooting HDMI connection & establishing HDMI1 is not working properly & switching to HDMI2 but now HDMI2 not working. What is your opinion of problem with tv loud popping noises?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the info, it could be TV or Directv box internal issue and we need another video source/ device such as DVD player etc at this point to figure out the problem origin, connect a DVD player into HDMI input of TV as test, playback a disc and check sound quality.If you get normal sound then it confirms that TV itself is fine and problem is coming from Directv box, reboot the cable box by unplug it power cord from wall outlet for 5 minutes, replug back in and let it reboot fully and check sound output.If TV still gives loud popping noise in its speakers then it would be TV internal issue and we will troubleshoot it later. Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try to get a DVD player to plug in to HDMI1. Will let you know result. Thank you
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
OK, please take your time and reply back with the result.Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.
Thanks.