Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

HOW CAN I FIND A FAULT WITH MY PIONEER PDP-504PG AWV2067-A

Customer Question

HOW CAN I FIND A FAULT WITH MY PIONEER PDP-504PG AWV2067-A POWER BOARD 50 X'DRIVE ASS'Y
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I personally would not try to repair a board that smoked a power supply. (Check the P/S for damage!) But if you must, try looking for brown spots on the underside of the board, where a component overheated a lot.Also look for components whose packages surface is discolored, a little wrinkled, etc... that can be a sign of heat. Chips sometimes 'sweat' a little when they are overheated by an internal short... and the 'sweat' smells horribly harsh and is quite toxic, so don't get a good whiff of it - there's probably arsenide in it. But it will tell you that a chip has died for sure, if not other components around it.And look for solder that seems to have re-melted a bit, or esp. that has dripped or icicled. That could be a sign of a defective overheated component, not just of a bad hand at soldering!