Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

We have a 47" LG TV and DIRECT TV. The DIRECT box comes on

Customer Question

We have a 47" LG TV and DIRECT TV. The DIRECT box comes on and the TV comes on but the only screen that comes on is the LG Life's Good. The remote control after putting new batteries in will not bring in the channels or up/down the volume. Menu nor any other buttons will work except to turn off/on. Did the TV screen freeze or can you tell me what had happened? The DIRECT serviceman said the TV is our problem.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Welcome Patricia! I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority. We are now connected together on this convenient website. Please try this:-disconnect all audio/video wires from the tv.-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.-press and hold the power button on the tv for 20 seconds and release.-plug in only the tv power cord and try to turn on.If that does not help then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, then parts ordered and installed. In this case likely the Main board. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further.If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted. A shop charges $125 to come diagnose the problem and hand you an estimate. Then another $175 in parts and labor. So the total can be $300 (or more).I'm sorry for the bad news. Before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 STAR rating at the top of this page. Then if you need more help you can reply at no additional cost. Thank you,Mike