Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 55 inch samsung plasma tv. Model PN50A510P3FXZA Ser#

Customer Question

I have a 55 inch samsung plasma tv. Model PN50A510P3FXZA Ser# ***** When I turn it on (either by remote or tv itself, doesn't matter) it makes a horrible loud schreeching sound and the screen is not snowy but a colored (or today it was green) screen. It then shuts itself off. It will then turn itself back on. It does this 2-4 times and then will stay on & be okay. It has been doing this for several months. The tv was new in either 2010 or 2011. We have no children that play video games and it has not been abused. Can you help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Diane. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.If you bought yours (which is a 50 inch) in 2010, then it was refurbished. In either case though, the tv is past its service life at this point, even with just normal usage. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Diane?