Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

The TV off and on and sound bar work fine with the remote...

Customer Question

The TV off and on and sound bar work fine with the remote... however, when trying to change the channel, the message says 'this function isn't available now'.
I have a rental condo and I feel certain one of my guests has pushed inadvertently pushed a 'wrong' button.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Brand and Model Number of the TV? What remote are you using?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's an LG 60" TV. I have 2 remotes.... the LG TV remote and then a 'no name' brand. I BELIEVE when the Geek Squad set up the system, I was asked to use the 'no name' brand... so that everything could be operated from that one remote (meaning the sound bar, etc.). Neither remote are working the channel selections as of now.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
I have no way of looking up a No Name brand remote, and as far as I know BB does not sell no name brand remotes. Please try to find something on that remote so I can assist.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Also if you're having problems changing the channel- I assume you get your channels through a cable box? It would mean the remote is in the wrong mode. You would need to put the remote back to "CBL" mode, and then change channels. The TV giving you that message means the remote is in TV mode- and when using a cable box the TV cannot change channels (the cable box changes channels). Without any info on that remote tho, I cannot give more specifics than that. let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is absolutely no insignia on the remote. I can open the battery compartment and get the tiny numbers from there ... but I don't think that will help you.not sure this will help BUT the TV power button is on the top left... there is a DTA Power red off/on button on the right side of the remote. Wonder if that makes a difference?I'll try to access the cable box and see if there is a switch disabled.Not sure if THIS makes a difference BUT the input for this system is HDMI 1.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
No switch disabled on anything. That isn't at all what I said. I said the remote is in TV mode and you need to put it in CBL mode. Take a picture of the remote and post back with it here if you're still stuck.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I fixed it. I simply changed the switch on the back of the cable box from 3 - 4 (or vice versa... can't see that closely), THEN it gave me a command (via TV) to pair my remote.thanks.Not sure what you meant by TV mode vs. CBL mode.... I saw none of those choices.