Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The display unit will not come on! there are two wires from

Customer Question

the display unit will not come on! there are two wires from the receiver to the display unit one white and one black. On removing the black connection the display comes on showing green and red square. On reconnecting the black connection the display shows only the red standby light. Can you help
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello Frank, what is the status of the light on the Media Receiver box please? Also are there ANY blink codes on either the Media Receiver or the PDP (display) at any point in time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When powered on the receiver has both red and green lights on. With no cables connected between receiver and pdp. The lights both red and green flash alternatively.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Okay so to clarify- with no cables to the MR the lights flash, or with cables connected to the MR the lights flash? Also the light never blinks on the PDP?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
With no cables attached the PDP lights blink Red andGreen alternating
Could the problem be the cable? If I power on the Pdp with no cables attached IT DOES COME ON BUT ONLY WITH A RED SQUARE AND A GREEN SQUARE must mean something
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Yes I saw the part about the red and green square- so I have that info. I'm asking specifically about the lights on BOTH devices to reference that in the service manual as well. No cables attached and those squares means your MR OR those cables are defective. That is why I am asking if the lights ON THE MEDIA RECEIVER stay red and green, or if they ever flash at any time please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear you. The receiver has both red and green lights On and steady. No blinking.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Okay, generally the MR blinks if it's bad, so this would point more towards those cables. Have you removed them and checked both ends to make sure there are no bent pins, dust or perhaps even oxidation/corrosion on the ends of the cables?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a cursory look but being no expert not quite sure. The white cable incidentally when connected affects nothing i.e. All lights remain the same as described however when I plug in the black cable the Pdp stops flashing and remains on red standby lamp and will not come on or power on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a way to try and clean the cable ends???
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I would try using a contact cleaner like De-Oxit, on the ends of the cable spraying liberally and also try spraying the contacts on the MR and on the display and see what happens. Beyond that you would want to try new cables.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will try and hope for the best. The cables are not available in Cairo-Egypt. Do you have part numbers I can use to order them on line?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
I will try to pull these up and see what I can come up with- will postback shortly.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
These cables are called "Pioneer System Cables" and are part number: ADF1021 You can try Googling that part number to see what's available for you in Egypt, and offhand below is a vendor I located (but am not privy to where they ship to): http://www.partsimple.com/adf1021-pio-n-13.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw6sC5BRCogcaY_dKZ2nESJABsZihxUGGmQ13spRWSvoNh_xCwMRcNfd68HYg_9rZqXZYEeBoCZPDw_wcB
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank u. By the way when the tv is on and the red and green squares come does it mean anything in particular???
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome. Yes, the red and green squares generally mean there is no Input signal from the MR. To look this up with more detail, I need the full model number off of the PDP (display), not the MR which you posted above.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes sure it is PDP-435 pg
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Looking this up now.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
The service manual doesn't state anything at all about the blocks on the screen, or alternate flashing of the red and green lights (I have seen those before however and they point to a loss of communication). It only states single light blink codes (such as 8 blinks from the standby light= faulty address board, etc.). When the screen is on with the green and red blocks, if you grab the Pioneer remote and press MENU, can you get the MENU to appear on the screen?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried but was sure that without the receiver connected this is just A DISPLAY UNIT.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
The MENU with picture settings, etc. is generated in the display itself. What happened when you tried?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing. I get seeing the big red and green squares.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry kept seeing .........
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anyone there???