Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have pioneer receiver connected to big screen . This morning

Customer Question

I have pioneer receiver connected to big screen . This morning the TV has no sound, states the "TV speakers are off." How do I turn them on again? Tried everything so far. Please help.
Thanks, Valerie
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Where exactly do you see "TV speakers are off" please? Also what is the model number off of the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn on the tv and press "speaker" button receiver remote, because I thought it was on mute, it gives that message. type of tv is a vizio 60 inch, purchased in November
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Again, where do you see the message- on your TV or on the Pioneer is what I was asking? Also, do you have a MODEL number for the Vizio 60" TV please? Troubleshooting relies heavily on specifics to get you an accurate solution.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also another thing, you said the "TV's speakers are off", but aren't you using the Pioneer's speakers for sound? Or are you saying the TV's speakers were working before, or both the Pioneer and the TV's speakers were being used?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I've got to run as it appears you're not online. I will opt out and open the question back up on the list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can somebody help me???
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you can reply back with the info requested then we can proceed. Read what's posted above and reply back directly to what is asked so we know which way to go about fixing this. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WAS ON LINE. The message comes up on the TV not the receiver. It comes up when I press the "speaker" button on the receiver, which shows up on the tv. the model number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry the model number if m55-c2
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Your TV speakers would not typically be on anyhow as you normally use the Pioneer's speakers for sound- no?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So, it appears the TV's speakers being off would be normal and you were trying to use the TV remote's volume to turn up the sound, which is not how these systems generally work. What I need to know, is what sources you have connected to the TV and Pioneer- is there a Cable Box, DVD player etc.? Also, if you change the source over to say- a DVD is there then sound? Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. The tv was working fine last night. Woke up this morning and no sound on tv I do not have pioneer speakers, per say. I have surround sound speakers install in the wall when purchased the house, so there was no tweaking with that at all when connecting the tv. okay. there is a cable box and receiver and dvd player.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Let me try this again- do you NORMALLY listen to the TV speakers or the speakers connected to the Pioneer when you watch TV?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also if you change the source over to DVD is there still no sound? I really need to know these things to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I understand you correctly, I normally listen to the TV speakers, the surround sound. Does that make sense? I did not touch anything this morning other than just turning on the TV and receiver as normal. Then no sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me see if I use the DVD if there's sound. one moment
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Let me know on the DVD please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. there is sound for the dvd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This means neither the TV nor the Pioneer receiver are at fault for no sound. Your Cable/SAT box (whichever you use) is. Reboot your cable/SAT box by pulling it's power cord out of the wall and plugging it back in after 10 seconds. Once it reboots (which takes a few minutes) check for sound again when you're watching regular TV. Let me know what happens. I need to run and pickup my daughter from work, but I will be back in about 25 minutes. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay.. I did as you suggested, unplug and rebooting twice. still the same problem. also, I checked the other TV's that are in the house and everything is fine with the cable and sound! what is going on? please email me when you return. I need this corrected today. thanks, valerie
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Here's the thing: This TV connects to ONE cable box- so the other TV's connected to their respective boxes (with sound working) aren't relevant. You checked and your DVD player has sound, so we know for a fact that your cable box, or possibly even it's connections to the stereo are the cause of the problem. You've rebooted to no avail, so this leaves you with two options: 1) Check that all cabling from the cable box to the receiver are connected tightly on both ends. 2) Grab a cable box from a different room and plug it into the same exact connections that this one is using. Since you know the connections are good- this will restore your sound. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will have to try that later. I'm home working on a deadline for tomorrow in court, so hours is long enough on this problem. thanks, ***** ***** get back to you later. valerie
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay no problem. I have just had company arrive for Mother's Day so will be off until tomorrow. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?