Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The tv is on but no picture...had sound but nothung now. can't

Customer Question

the tv is on but no picture...had sound but nothung now. can't turn tv off with remote or manually. Tv is mounted on wall and recess a few inches making difficult to unplug and replug. Tv is eight years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Are there ANY signs of life on the TV at all right now (power light lit or blinking)? Also, how large of a set are we talking here roughly? Any chance you have a model number for the TV?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Can you send me a reply just to let me know if you need assistance with this or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv is a Vizio VM60P high definition plasma...56 inches long
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Are there ANY signs of life on the TV at all right now (power light lit or blinking)?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
In other words is the Vizio "V" lit up?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Or is it out completely (in other words the TV appears essentially "dead")?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power light is on...can't turn tv off with remote or manually....and yes the VIZIO is lite
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this does indicate a hardware failure in the TV, and this is very common on Plasma sets that are approaching 10 years of age. That is about the maximum life expectancy of these sets before components start failing. Your TV unfortunately has a bad Mainboard- which requires replacement of that component to fix the issue. The other bad news is that there are NO parts available for a set this age. Vizio stopped supporting this model about 5 years ago, so when it does break- it is more cost effective to replace the TV versus repairing it. However I would suggest trying a hard reset of the TV- you WILL need to unplug the TV's power cord to do this. I realize the set is mounted on a wall, but can you not get to the power cord plug that plugs into the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks ...I'll try and do a hard reset and if doesn't work get a replacement.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times. If it still does not turn on beyond that, then this would require service to the set- in which case replacement is a more cost effective option. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?