Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I HAVE AN OLEVIA 5 SERIES TV THAT APPAERS TO LOCKED SOME HOW.

Customer Question

i HAVE AN OLEVIA 5 SERIES TV THAT APPAERS TO LOCKED SOME HOW. i CAN'T SET TO FACTORY SETTINGS, SEARCH CHANNELS. IS THERE A BACK DOOR WAY TO RESET THIS?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: MY OLEVIA 5 SERIES LCD TV WILL NOT NOT LET ME RESTORE TO IT TO FACTORY SETTINGS OR RUN AUTO CHANNEL SEARCH
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: I SWITCHED THE PICTURE FROM HOME TO RETAIL AND WAS TOLD THAT IT WOULD ALLOW OCD TO LOCK. IS THAT THE PROBLEM?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, What's the model number off the back of the Olevia?Also, what exactly was the original problem that prompted you to want to reset/search channels please? How do you receive broadcasts on the set- cable box,SAT box, direct coaxial to the TV etc.?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
532-B12
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Also, what exactly was the original problem that prompted you to want to reset/search channels please? How do you receive broadcasts on the set- cable box,SAT box, direct coaxial to the TV etc.?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
WINDOW MOUNT 1BYONE HDTV ANTENNA. I DISCONNECTED CABLE TV AND SET UP THE ANTENNA
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, so you're trying to go from cable to an HDTV antenna correct? Do you have the original Olevia remote? Also you mentioned the set must be locked somehow, are you seeing a message on the screen saying this? Please elaborate.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I HAVE THE REMOTE. WHEN POWERED UP I GET A MESSAGE THAT THERE ARE NO CHANNELS IN THE LIST BUT IT WON'T LET ME DO AN AUTO SEARCH. I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE WHEN SWITCHING TO RETAIL PICTURE BEFORE SEARCHING CHANNELS. I GOT A MESSAGE THEN THAT OCD WOULD BE LOCKED IF I CONTINUED. NOT KNOWING WHAT THAT MEANT I WENT AHEAD AND NOTHING HAS WORKED SINCE
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
So right now if you press MENU, does the OSD show up or what exactly shows on the screen?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
WHEN I PRESS THE MENU I GET THE WHEEL. IT LETS ME GO TO TV, AIR, CHANNEL SEARCH BUT FREEZES UP THEN.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
DOES NOTHING AND GOES BACK TO THE BLANK SCREES WITH THE NO CHANNELS
IN LIST MESSAGE.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, please try a hard reset of the TV. Disconnect the power cord form the wall, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug it back in and press power once. Let me know if you can access the OSD and scroll to Setup please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
IT IS ALREADY UNPLUGGED FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES. CAN I STILL FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay you can leave it unplugged and simply press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. This drains residual current from the set. Also if the HDTV antenna is still plugged into the TV, please remove that and leave it removed as a test. Plug the TV back in without the antenna connected just to see if we can navigate the MENU like that. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK - IT TOOK ME TO TV - CHANNEL SEARCH - AIR. BUT WHEN I HIT SELECT AT AIR NOTHING HAPPIENED
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, can you get to the Reset to Defaults option in the setup MENU?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. Simply reply back on this page please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
SO WHAT'S NEXT
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
I asked if you could reset the TV to defaults, so that is what was next. What happened- did you try that?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
CAN YOU WALK ME THROUGH THE SET UP STEP BY STEP?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
In the "Setup" OSD MENU- It's the Factory Default Option. Go to MENU, scroll to Setup- the Reset is one of the options in Setup. Let me know if you're unable to find it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get to factory settings but does not do anything after that
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry but if the TV does not respond, there's not much we can do. There's no way we can force it to select the setting if you're saying it won't. It would appear the set is glitching due to age. The only thing I can suggest as a workaround is to us an external DTV tuner box. However to know if that will work, please let me know if you can freely change the TV "Source" from Video, to Component, etc.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I CAN SCROLL THROUGH THE SOURCES BUT CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES WHEN I HIT SELECT
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Is it possible the Select button on the remote is broken?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
NOT SURE . IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE SELECTIONS ON THE TV ITSELF? IS THERE ANY WAY TO UNLOCK THE OCD
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
No there is not unfortunately, only using the remote. The OSD is your On Screen Display. If you're able to move freely through the MENU options then it does not seem as though it's locked. It's looking like at this point your TV may simply have a failure in it's Mainboard. I'm sorry but at this point I will need to opt out and open the question to other experts.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Hello , i`m JackDo you still need help with this ?