Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have an LG 60PZ750 Plasma TV. It was having issues with

Customer Question

I have an LG 60PZ750 Plasma TV. It was having issues with the picture staying on. The power would stay on but the picture would go away. Turning the unit off and on several times would eventually make the picture stay on. For about a month, it would get worse and worse. Eventually, the picture would not come on at all and the power would not stay on. Then, the power light remained solid red (turns light blue when power is on). I purchased a main power supply board and replaced it. Now, I still get the solid red power light and when I try to turn it on I just get click, click....like it turns on and then right back off.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Can you check Va and Vs volts on top left connector of power supply board with voltmeter while pressing power button on TV?Volts may appear for a second or two, please reply back with the result.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the back off of the TV at the moment.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, no problem, we can continue it at later in your convenient time.Just reply here to resume the troubleshooting,Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the back is off now. What setting should the voltmeter be on?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please set the meter to DC Volt range and expected volts are approx 200V and 60V DC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting no reading. I may be doing it wrong though.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is possible, unplug TV power cord from wall outlet, touch meter black lead to metal frame and use red lead to touch Va or Vs pin, rpelug TV power cord back in and press power button to turn On the TV. You would need another person to replug TV power cord.Meter may show volts reading for second or two.Do you get any reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the VA or Vs pin?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
These pins are marked on top left connector of power supply board and these volts go to sustain boards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They show on upper left and upper right connectors.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Correct, can you please test these volts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still get no reading
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please unplug upper right and upper left connectors of power board and again check volts.Do you get any reading now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
This is odd, where did you get the replacement power supply board from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A company out of California.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, was it new or used?Please unplug TV power cord. Set you multimeter to ohms/ resistance check and check resistance across Vs and GND pins of ZSUS board located at right side, also check resistance across Vs and GND pins & Va and GND pins on YSUS board located on left side. You would check the resistance on connectors of both board that plug into power board.What ohms reading appears on meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does 3000 sound right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Refurbished
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
3000 ohms for all checks?I mean same reading for Va-GND and Vs-GND checks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plugged the old board in and the big board on the left side is making a humming sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VA is much higher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is that board where my issue is.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Plugged old power board?If so that means the new refurbished power board is defective and not working. Humming sound from left side board indicates it is getting short circuit somewhere and possible cause is y-drive boards connected to left side big board (YSUS) is short, y-drive board are two, one is on top and other is on bottom mounted vertically on left side of YSUS board. Please check following link to view y-drive boards images.. http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebr73560801-ydrvtp-board.htm http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebr73561001-ydrvbt-board.htmSwapping these boards is only option as we can't test them in other way. It is quite possible that YSUS board which is humming is also bad or failing. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Do you need any further assistance with this question?Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!Please reply back here if there is additional questions.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you suggest changing the y-drive boards first or the YSUS Board? It seems as though it would have to be the YSUS Board, because the video had been having the issues staying on before the whole thing went. Also, the parts are not available at Shop Jimmy. Any other place you would suggest that I look for them?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply, I need to go out for an hour now so reply you bit later, is this OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you later.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about delayed reply and thanks for waiting.If TV had not any black horizontal stripe/ lines issue then replace YSUS board as first thing because a bad y-drive board will show black horizontal bar/ stripe across the screen. I hope this info will help.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know any places I could look to find this part?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Let me find it out, get back to you in few minutes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid new YSUS board isn't available anywhere, however, a refurbished board is available at following supplier who offers warranty as well..http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-EBR73561201-Y-sus-Repair-service-/331827408678?hash=item4d42746f26:g:0xwAAOSwq19XCXkAThanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered and received the part and have installed it. I get power to turn on and stay on now, but I am getting no picture.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, does screen glow/ show light or any graphics appear on screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, completely black. No flashes when power is turned on, nothing.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that, refurbished YSUS board seems suspected, do you get stable Va and Vs volts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check with it unplugged, or plugged in?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check volts with plugged on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are registering. The Vs is much higher than the Va.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Expected Volts are approx 200V and 60V DC, is that the reading you get on meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, exactly that.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
There are two possibilities at this point, either refurbished YSUS board isn't working at all OR the plasma display panel itself is bad that is why doesn't produce light inside. It is catch 22 situation and we need to confirm the YSUS board in another working TV to move forward, usually a TV repair shop have similar models on work bench so we, the TV tech have luxury to test the board in other TV to sort out the issue bit quickly. Is it possible for you to verify the YSUS board at any nearest TV repair shop that might have similar TV for re[air?