Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

Pioneer pdp-4304 plasma

Customer Question

Pioneer pdp-4304 plasma worked great for many years. Now I suddenly have no video from “HDMI Monitor OUT of AV Reciever. The screen still works - it displays built in graphics perfectly and only has one bad white “pixel,” but it won't show video via HDMI. I tested this same source and cable on another (LED 1080p) monitor and they work instantly/perfectly. It's not a power supply problem... it's whatever board(s) take the incoming digital; signal and translate it for display. This is my second attempt to solve the problem, please read on to see what has been done so far.A previous expert sent me this: “The board responsible for this is called the Mainboard- it processes all of your AV signals in the set. However, have you tried more than one source on the set (even though that source works on another monitor)?…If it was working before AND you also tried component cables (then selected "component" with the same results), then yes this would indicate the Mainboard is the root cause.”I responded: “I unplugged all the cables from it. Re-attached to make sure it wasn't a physical prob. no change. I tried changing the monitor input selection a few times (after letting it "rest" unplugged for an hour). No video appears - only the onscreen graphic. I took the same cable end *both HDMI and component separate, and stuck those in another monitor - works perfectly.”He responded: “your set processes HD and SD signals each on a separate board. To determine if the issue is the Tanshi (Input board, or the Digital Video processing board, can you try a set of standard Red,White and Yellow (or just the Yellow) RCA cables to see if it displays a standard definition video signal please?”I replied: “The tv "rested" unplugged for a day since I tested it last. Per your suggestion i connected a dvd player directly to the monitor : I have good normal standard def video through the standard def "yellow" RCA cable. I have good Component video from dvd player. And now when I connect HDMI from that dvd player, the monitor screen still shows no video from the source, and now it "refreshes" with black, a “burst” and black in a cyclical fashion. Like for 1 second shows the input as "input 2 dynamic," then the screen sort of flashes and it repeats. This only happens on HDMI and it happens from all sources with different cables.”He responded: “Good test, and this concludes only the Digital Input processing is bad in your TV, which is the Digital Processing Board(Pioneer AWZ6993 (ANP2069-D) . If you want to replace this yourself, it connects directly to the Input board on the back of your set (follow the cables) and can be purchased at the link below for your set”So he sent me the link. I bought the part. I installed it. I have precisely the same problem as before after all that. NO VIDEO VIA
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Are you aware that the HDMI port on this tv CANNOT process/display a 1080p incoming picture format? What ever you are connecting to the tv MUST be forced to ouput 1080i or 720p video format. This is not something that is set in the tv. It is set in the device(s) that you are connecting. That could require you to connect the device(s) to another (1080p capable) tv, change the settings to 1080i/720p only, then reconnect it to the Pioneer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep. I tried it with 720p signal out of appleTv. Same issue. This tv was working perfectly in the system (AV receiver, directtv box and appletv). And then stopped. So applying the "fix" as I was previously coached to do was the only new variable. Everything else was status quo... But thanks for the suggestion. Next idea?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Has Component Video (Input 5) been tested with a 1080i/720p source device? If it works, then use it. There is no difference in picture quality vs hdmi. An hdmi to Component adapter/converter may be needed if your AV receiver does not have component out.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
If you really really must use hdmi, then I would recommend you replace the board that actually has the hdmi port on it. That board is:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes well that was my initial plan until your justanswer colleague talked me out of that (essentially) and into changing out the digital board into which the smaller hdmi board connects ... Do you know the part number for the hdmi board?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
The part number is ***** on the page that I gave the link AWZ6967. Did you click the link? Here is the link again:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. This al pay makes too much sense... ;-). Just to triple check-- when connected to hdmi have an "on" but black screen... And if I jiggle the hdmi cable end where it inserts in the tv board, i get a very slight/very feint flicker. I tried a couple diff cables with same result- and those cables work great in other monitors
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So could not be anything else? Could it be routing of power from power supply board that isn't feeding the plama generator and so it isn't lighting up the cells?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
No it could not be anything else besides the board I just referred you to and the Digital board that you already replaced. It's possible the hdmi connector on the board is bad or the tiny solder points holding the hdmi connector to the board are bad.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok well ... I woulda ordered both boards last week and been done with this if I had met you first . :-(. Now I have to get that board wait till Tuesday and then take the whole thing apart again, install and reassemble. I was too quick to offer rating last time - as he was uninterested in talking to me after the "fix" he gave didn't fix it . So this time - I am gonna see if this works and then provide the rating .
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Just remember that there is still another option besides replacing that board. Use Component Video. It is still HD, there is no difference in quality.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
One example of an hdmi to component converter:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Component doesn't feed 1080i does it?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Yes of course it does.