Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

We have a Pioneer Plasma TV Model "PDP 6202FD" When the

Customer Question

We have a Pioneer Plasma TV Model "PDP 6202FD" When the TV is turned on it starts for a few minutes, then cuts out. Can this TV be repaired? If it can, where do we get service. Ramm Electronics, who is listed at the service people, says they no longer work on Pioneer Plasma TV's.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Robert. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is effectively past its service life at this point, and was one of the last tvs pioneer made before they got out of the tv business. Plasma technology was later dropped by everyone and is now considered obsolete. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor; however parts are difficult to find, and as you've experienced most shops won't work on these anymore. Pioneer plasmas were some of the most complex tvs made so repairs are difficult and time consuming, so many shops either aren't qualified or just aren't willing to fix them. For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Robert?