Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I inherited a Sharp Aquos Model LC-60E79U. When I connect it

Customer Question

I inherited a Sharp Aquos Model LC-60E79U. When I connect it to the HDMI output of my TiVo box, it does not immediately show the channel that I tuned to on the the TiVo. I almost always have to move up a channel then back dow to the desired channel before it will display. Most times I have to do this multiple times before the channel is displayed on the TV.
PLEASE help...
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does this happen every time you change the channel?Or after every time the tv is shut off?Are you frequently disconnecting/connecting the hdmi cable?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, it happens every time I change the channel by entering a channel number that is usually 3 or more numbers apart or if changing from and HD to a normal or vice versa. It does not seem to be a factor of if the TV was just turned on or how long it's been on. Finally, no, I have not changed the HDMI cable for months since I last installed the premium grade cable.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you for confirming.This indicates a hdmi hardware handshake issue, or a hdcp identification issue between the tivo and the tv. Basically, the tivo is having to renegotiate and loosing communication with the tv when changing channels. You can try updating the firmware/software on the tivo (if it has that option).Updating the tv firmware would be ideal as well, but it is an older model that was discontinued long ago and is no longer supported, so there are no updates for it. Ultimately, if the tivo update is not available or does not help, we'd be looking at either switching to the component cables as a workaround, or connecting an external hdmi signal enhancing device to help resolve the dropout issue. I can explain more about these if needed. Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?