Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Toshiba 55zv650u that has a moving horizontal box/lines

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba 55zv650u that has a moving horizontal box/lines going across it? Is this fixable?
Category: TV
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is the box/lines that randomly moves up or down on the screen
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do these lines happen on all sources/inputs?Do they also affect (obstruct) the toshiba on screen setup and input menus?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I'd say so. This is what happens when I press the menu button. The lines distort all picture that appears.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, in rare cases this could be a faulty main/control board, but it is more likely to be a faulty lcd panel (display screen). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), changing out boards as needed, etc. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor IF it is the main board, which cannot be known without replacing it. If that does not resolve it, then the actual lcd panel is bad, which is not possible to fix. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $600 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.I'd like to help you, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.