Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Trying to program universal remote to electrohome TV a Philips

Customer Question

Trying to program universal remote to electrohome TV a Philips remote
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Tried all the codes in manual for remote and none work
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: The TV is an older one
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the complete model number of the tv?Does your remote require a 3, 4, or 5 digit code?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
5 digits
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Electrohome 20E406
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
What is the complete model number of the tv?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Electrohome 20E406 serial no. 70200939
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for confirming,
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
11670 is the specific IR codeset for your particular model tv.Because this is a very old model, and a "generic" brand, the parts came from many different manufacturers, so as alternate codes you can test the ones for mitsubishi and memorex which often made parts for this brand. It is possible, however, that no matter what code is used, your remote will not be able to control the devices you wish to use it with. Basic universal remotes cover the most common brands and models and are usually very limited, so there is no guarantee of compatibility especially with older and off brand products.In short, if these codes don't work, then your remote simply is not compatible.Your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?