Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a Series 6 Samsung TV ( 42" model ) purchased in January

Customer Question

I have a Series 6 Samsung TV ( 42" model ) purchased in January 2009. This unit has developed an annoying fault of intermittently losing sound - usually loses sound for 4-6 seconds then resumes normal sound ( no picture interference occurs ).
In early weeks of ownership a Samsung technician came to my home and used a USB key to update the TV internals but I can not recall if that was for a sound problem.
Any suggestions for this problem, please?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does this happen on all sources/inputs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only input is "free to air" aerial installed on our highrise building
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for confirming.You an try resetting the tv to the factory defaults from the setup menu, and you can also try retuning.Beyond that, if the problem persists, it would point to an internal hardware fault, meaning a defective tuner (main) board, which is a fairly common issue to see on these tvs as these age. For a 2009 model the set is actually well past its service life at this point already. While it could be fixed, it would not be feasible to do so, as repairs would cost more than a brand new and updated LED tv with a fresh warranty. This tv will continue to have other compatibility issues as it lacks an mpeg4 tuner so it will start dropping channels soon too as they begin converting to that new format. This is an old model, so samsung ended all support for it many years ago and would not be releasing any future firmware updates for it.Other than replacing the tv, your next best option would be to hook up an external tuner instead. You can pick one up for $50 or less at dick smith, harvey norman, etc. Example: Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan