Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

AV-48WP74 48 in. Rear Projection HDTV-screen is flashing green

Customer Question

AV-48WP74 48 in. Rear Projection HDTV-screen is flashing green or has colored lines across the whole screen with the cable receiver turned on
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Those lines can be caused by several things. Please grab the original JVC remote and press MENU. Does the TV's MENU display normally on the screen- or nothing but those lines?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The screen is normal untill I turn on the cable receiver. Then either flashing green screen or color lines.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Okay, so you're saying the MENU will display EVEN when those lines are present? I need you to be specific please. It matters since your cable receiver is an outside source, and the TV's MENU is "native" (internal).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With cable the cable receiver on the menu will appear normal on top of the color lines.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. This indicates the issue is being generated by your cable receiver- and not the TV itself. How is the cable receiver connected to the TV (what type of cabling specifically)? Also have you tried a basic power reset of the receiver by disconnecting it's power cord from the wall for 10 seconds and plugging it back in?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cable resets are unsuccessful. Wall connection is regular coxial cable.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Wall connection to box is not the connection from the box to the TV. I am asking what cables specifically connect the box itself to the TV (not the wall to the box).
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Do you hve another source you can try on the TV- such as a DVD player?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
So we can test to see if the cable box is the issue or if the TV displays lines no matter what source is connected?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Regular tv 3 wire cables, yellow, white, red cables. Cable technican removed the HD monster cables while troubleshooting the issue. he stated a tv issue. Regarless which cables used, still have the ssme problem. Even tried a different cable box.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Okay, then it sounds like your TV's Mainboard (which processes external AV signals) is tanked- which requires replacement of the board. This in bad news since parts have not been made for these older rear projection sets in some time. It would be worth trying a hard reset of the TV however. Please unplug the TV from power and remove those AV cables from the back of the set. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug the AV cables back in, plug the TV's power cord back in- and turn on the set. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Are you still with me here?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Color lines went from vertical to horizontal
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Okay, sorry to hear that. That's the extent of quick fixes we can try for this problem. The TV needs it's Mainboard (focus pack and digital module) replaced. The average cost for this type of repair IF you can find a shop that still works on CRT's (most simply board-swap with LED and LCD sets these days), is going to be in the $350-$400 range- parts and labor. Given the age of the set, and the lack of availability of parts (plus the fact that a brand new 48" LED set can be purchased for $400 these days), it is generally not considered cost effective to pursue repairs on these older CRT sets. I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?