Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Tv was working hitachi 55hdt79 shut it off and now power light

Customer Question

tv was working hitachi 55hdt79 shut it off and now power light light comes on but no picture
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: tv hitachi 55hdt79 was working shut it down yesterday - today the power light comes on but no picture. - this happened once before parked the tv for a couple months and when i set it up again everything worked great
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are are you still getting sound out of it?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.Please reply back here on this page when ready.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my sound comes thru a freceiver The power light on the tv comes on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is significantly past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and double the picture quality in the $600 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will try what you have advised - interesting thing is this happened approx 6 months ago and was idle but hooked it up again there where no issues
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did see that, and that does still point to an electronics failure. You may find that it comes back on after a short reset, and will work for a bit, but will keep happening and getting worse and worse until it won't come on anymore at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know my results
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll be here if you need any more info.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in, do you need any more help with this?