Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Philips 46PFL5706/F7 When plugged in it makes a 1 click from

Customer Question

Philips 46PFL5706/F7
When plugged in it makes a 1 click from the centre PCB BA17P5 and we have picture for 5 minutes. Then nothing. If I unplug and plug in again I get 1 one click again and then nothing
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The board referenced is the Frame Rate Control board.The click would be a power relay, doubtless. That controls higher and more dangerous voltages used in the TV.If there is a short, or overload... or a heat-related problem... then the TV will cut out after it has warmed up and not work again until it has cooled down. That matches what you report. The usual measures can be taken: open the TV, examine all components on all boards for e.g. leaking capacitors, capacitors with bulging tops, fried or burnt components of any kind, etc. Burnt spots on the underside of circuit boards also need looking for.And it might be a good idea at this point to obtain a service manual, so as to not spend needless amounts of money on boards that do not fix the problem. Would you like me to seek a source for such a service manual for this model series of Philips TV? it might be free, perhaps, it might cost up to $19 or so, or it might not be available. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok all this started happening after we had a bad storm that took out 1/2 of the power and the poor old TV was trying to run on 60v. I assume it is probably the power supply that is toast. As the center board is the direct input of the power plug is would be the power supply. Are there any voltages I can check for? The boards part # ***** *****
Yes, a brownout or undervoltaging would damage electronics in the TV, at least in the power supply, likely.The voltages to check for, the identities of the boards, and the voltage test points, would all be in the service manual... again, shall I seek a source for one?