Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

So I just bought NAXA NDL-257 7" Bluetooth DVD Boombox with

Customer Question

So I just bought NAXA NDL-257 7" Bluetooth DVD Boombox with TV...I've connected the antenna, powers on of course, but I can't seem to get any digital TV channels using either the Auto search nor the Manual search. I even tried another antenna. Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi Robert,
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Do you have another TV that works ok on the same antenna?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, I've tried the antenna included with the tv and another portable antenna I've purchased separately as well I've tried in multiple urban locations. Always the channels seem to be found whether I'm using the Auto search or Manual search. I'm going to have to try a cable connection later per the instruction manual. I hope to respond again before this time tomorrow. (& I hope that's ok.)
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
That is fine, just reply back when you are ready :)Pete.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete.Well,
after I tried using cable to see any channels and there was no change and didn't see any channels using Auto search or Manual I was advised that I live too far away from towers for good reception with such antennas (+ or - 40 miles) but I could try this hill top parking lot I hadn't tried before.So I took the portable TV up there and tried with both the extending type and the folding TV Freeway type antennas. And, I finally got signal for the first time -at least the lower band (?) TV stations registered in the list (their 'call signs') using the Auto search feature with each of the two little antennas. But then I saw only a flash of video once, and never any audio, and then I pushed the up/down carrot-arrows on the remote control and tried selecting channels but I never saw nor heard anything except that the channel selection was limited and no signal (but the few call signs.) I'm thinking I'll try to get it to work with a much bigger antenna. I'm open to suggestions now but I figure it's working just like many operations it's subject to location, location, location.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Yes, poor signal is the most likely cause - you will need to use a good strong amplified antenna, so that you get the strongest possible signal.If you cannot mount an antenna externally and high up on a pole, then ensure any smaller antenna you are using has a built-in amplifier.e.g.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Checking it out. (Yet, simple me...)
I guess I was really hoping to have a more portable antenna that would work well enough to get channels when I was tailgating or in park with my non-RV auto/truck. What do you think of those FLAT types? Also, I did look online at fcc coverage for my local area and 60+miles around and they seem to say DTV will change/improve? in mid June (hoping by July.) Maybe I'm wrong. I'm in the central Willamette valley in Oregon about 40mi north of Eugene.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
You could try a flat type, but unless you can mount it externally on the RV then it may not pick up any weak signals.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things work out for you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, wasn't around email last weekend. I am going to try a non-amplified antenna I got from Amazon before we last 'talked.' It's an omni directional Antenna, Lava 8008, first. Just got it but haven't tried it yet. I'll check back with you in a day, I hope.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
That's ok, looking forward to hearing back from you!Pete.