Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

We have an LG Smart TV. I must have pushed a remote button

Customer Question

We have an LG Smart TV. I must have pushed a remote button and now I get no picture. I have spent 3 hours trying to get support to no avail. Would you call me and guide me through the set up so that my TV works again? My phone is(###) ###-#### Thanks, Dave
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I cannot take a phone call but in order to help I need more info: 1) Model Number off of the back of the set. 2) How do you receive broadcasts on the set (cable/SAT box, etc.)? 3) What exactly do you see on your screen?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Do you need assistance with the question you posted?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model # ***** - LG
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the model number. I also NEED to know: How do you receive broadcasts on the set (cable/SAT box, etc.)? What exactly do you see on your screen?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have Verizon Fios cable. The screen displays a gray mottled picture.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
A gray mottled picture? Okay, we need to find out if you have a TV hardware issue, or a cable box issue. Please as a simple TEST- grab the original LG remote and press MENU- does the TV's native MENU display normally on the screen please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you receive my response?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Yes, and I posted one for you right after it. Please scroll up the page to see my last reply.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I can see the menu but where the TV should be on it is a gray mottled picture
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, Please go and reboot your cable box. Shut the TV off first, then disconnect the cable box from power (unplug it). During this time DISCONNECT and reconnect the HDMI cable that connects the cable box to the TV making SURE it is secure on both ends please. Then plug the cable box back in and turn the TV on. Give the cable box a few minutes to reboot. This is common with current cable boxes and generally just means it needs to be rebooted. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You should know that the problem started when I pushed a button on the remote. Which one I don't know
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Please read my reply above and follow those steps.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried this reboot once but will try again.....
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, I have no way of knowing what you've tried unless it's posted.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I rebooted both box and tv as you requested. Still no luck. I think it has something to do with a button on the remote that I pushed. Can you give help here?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
There's no button on the remote that you push that will scramble the screen- that's the whole thing? Are you sure the TV is on the correct Input? Is your cable box plugged in using HDMI? Here's the issue IF your MENU displays clearly and the cable box image is scrambled then it's a cable box issue- not a TV issue. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I here what you are saying but the problem started when I pushed some button on the remote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've clicked on the smart tv button and tried to see the problem there and checked the settings with not luck.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Good luck, I will opt out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you just quitting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will you please then send another technician?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV. Additionally, is the TV directly connected to a Verizon Fios coaxial cable feed? ...or is there a cable box supplied by Verizon Fios cable. If there is a boxe, its model number please something like a Motorola QIP 7232. If so, please describe how the cable box is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).Proposed preliminary try (if have not been done) is to press the TV remote's INPUT button a couple of times with slight pauses in between until the Verizon Fios cable TV program is displayed.