Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.
14666028

I bought a used Toshiba 20 inches, Model 20HLV86S, Serial

Customer Question

I bought a used Toshiba 20 inches, Model 20HLV86S, Serial 07614711. But,
I have a BIG problem, only the DVD works, with the top TV buttons or my original
remote control. What can I do to fix it ???
Jacques Soucy ***@******.*** Wednesday, April 20, 2016
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, How are you trying to receive broadcasts on the set please?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome Jacques. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- What is connected to TV for channel signals, a cable box or antenna?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Toshiba Tv 20inches is connected to a cable box, not an antenna.Jacques Soucy
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, how the cable box connected to TV?

In other words what kind of connection cord runs between cable box and TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello !Here's how the TV is connected to the Cable Box:I have a Cable Box, plus a DVD player-recorder, plus my TV...My TV is connected to the ''RF OUT'' in the back of my DVD player-recorder;My DVD player-recorder is connected by its own ''ANT IN'' to the Cable BOX ''TO TV'';Finally, my CABLE is plugged, from my CABLE provider to ''CABLE IN'' in the backof the Cable BOX. That's it !
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me repost this question so other experts can have a look and chime in.

Thanks.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Can you describe me the cablebox you have and give me the model number of that DVD player?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cablebox is a HUAWEI cablebox, model DC730.My DVD-RECORDER is a LG model LRA-537.Jacques SOUCY
Monday, April 25, 2016, 4pm
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

i can't find the manual for the DVD player. I saw some Magnavox that even with a IN and out coax where only able to output their own signal on the out and used the in only for recording. Try to connect it direct from the cable digital to analog box to the TV. We will see what is next from there.

Also, you have no other cable connected to TV right now other than this coax and the power cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just tried to connect it direct from the cable digital to analog box, to my 20inches TV.The result is still the same: excellent DVD film reading, but no access to TV.In fact, when my TV is on the Blue background DVD image, I depress the TV/DVD on my remote control, to go to TV,then I see a black DVD screen instead of a TV channel.As you pointed out, I have only the coax cable and the power cable connected in the back of the TV.Jacques Soucy
Saint-Hyacinthe
Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 2:45 pm
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

With you last comment i am no longer sure if you mean that the stand alone DVD work and send picture to the TV or if the DVD player internal to the TV work. Tell me that the one working is the external one and that you can play and see a DVD disc content from it. That would mean that that section of the connection is working and that the TV is on the right 3 or 4 channel to also receive the TV programing.

The cable box send NTSC signal in RF mode and the TV and DVD player are both compatible with it so it should work. In case the TV tuner have a problem, you may try to use the external DVD player as a demodulator and connect it to the TV with composite cable (yellow, red, white) to one of the line input of the TV (L1 or L2)..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Martin, but I tried to connect an external DVD player to my 20inches TV with composite cable (yellow, red andwhite) to one of the Line input of my TV, with no success. I still have excellent video playing on the TV internal DVD,but no TV channels to watch !Pretty discouraging !Jacques SoucyThursday, April 28, 2016, 2h.48pm
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Did you try the INPUT-ZOOM button on the TV remote, this is the button that select the line input at the back of the TV, not the TV/DVD button alone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Martin !I'm disappointed not to receive news from you the whole last week, because my TV 20inches Toshiba is stillrunning DVDs only.I hope you didn't quit on solving my Toshiba TV problem.Naturally before crediting the Expert, I need to have a solution to my problem.I still think you can help me solve my problem.A+Jacques Soucy
Saint-Hyacinthe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Martin !No news from you or partners.
I still need your help to solve my Toshiba TV problemJacques S
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jaques, i was waiting for feedback on what happen when you press the Input-zoom on the TV remote.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin !Thanks for answering my e-mail.When I pressed the Input-Zoom button on my TV remote, nothing happened. Still the DVD only worked.Jacques S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Martin !I still want to know YOUR SOLUTION to my Toshiba TV problem, because I already paid $38.00 US to get it,and still didn't get the final successful solution from your Toshiba Company.I think Toshiba is a very good brand usually, and I still hope to receive a very good solution from you !Jacques SoucySt-Hyacinthe, Qc, Canada, J2T 4B9
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Martin !What is your final successful solution to fix my problem on my Toshiba 20inches, that is DVD only working, NOT the TV ???May 24, 2016.Jacques SoucySt-Hyacinthe
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

When playing a DVD in the internal DVD player of the TV.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

When this play press the zoom button, we will know if that button at least work.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
As suggested, I played a DVD movie in my Toshiba internal DVD player;When the DVD movie played, I pressed the zoom button: Result, no TVsignal, but a real zoom in and zoom out action indeed.So the Zoom button works, but only for Zooming !A+Jacques Soucy (May 27-2016)
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

Was it in an hotel before? I see no hotel mode on that one but there is an input lock covered at page 28 of the manual (the password ***** is covered at page 26). The TV could also have a hardware problem but i have no way to know this without having the set on my testing bench.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Martin !I really don't know if my Toshiba was in an Hotel before...But I do think that you're getting closer to the solution, with the different LOCKS that seem present on my TV.
Here is what I tried: PARENTAL LOCK: I tried to change that number "8", for number "2", then I wrote a new
password (I don't know the last owner password) "1947", but I failed to change it, because I couldn't avtivate
"OK" on the TV, with "ENTER" on my remote control...
I also tried to unlock "Panel Control", with no success.
Is there "a backdoor password" I could use on my Toshiba TV that could give me access to UNLOCK what
I need to unlock in my Toshiba TV ??? (as we sometimes use to unlock the BIOS in computers)I think you are on the right track, and with your precious help, I am sure you can solve my problem this week.Jacques Soucy
St-Hyacinthe 4 juin 2016
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Try to reset the TV value to factory default with the service menu as explained here:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/781527/Toshiba-20hlv86.html?page=42

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Martin !Thanks for the information. My problem is that I can't see the Service Menu in Service Manual, Owners Manual or
even Users Manual. Could you be more precise as the chapter number, or the page number where I could get the
precise information on how to get my TV to factory default.Thanks
Jacques Soucy
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

On page 42 of the link i posted. You can download that service manual at that link if you prefer that to reading it online:

http://www.manualslib.com/download/781527/Toshiba-20hlv86.html

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

They call it service mode instead of service menu.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Martin !I am still waiting for a final solution to recover the TV signal on my Toshiba 20inches TV, not only the DVD signal thatworks well.Jacques Soucy June 27, 2016
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

service menu factory reset did not work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Martin !
I still can't find the appropriate page number in the Service Manual that would guide me towards reaching andresetting my Toshiba 20 in.Jacques SoucyJacques Soucy
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

OK, You need to put the TV in "TV mode" i guess that you can do that even if you see nothing. Then press both at the same time "VOLUME DOWN" on the TV and "1" on the remote control for at least 2 sec.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Martin !I tried a couple of times to get to "TV", starting from DVD, with the TV-Video button, and the only thing I can get is aBLACK SCREEN, WITH WHITE LETTERS DVD. Naturally, pressing VOLUME DOWN on the TV, and "1" on the remote for at lleast 2 seconds , produces NOTHING.Jacques Soucy
StHYACINTHEJUNE 28, 2016
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Does the TV start with that black screen and white DVD or do you only get to that state after pressing TV-DVD button? Does pressing that button on the remote doing anything showing that it at least work and have an effect. I just noticed there is a "source" button on the TV itselft, that does nothing either?

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Seem it is only called source in the service manual, it might be the TV/Video button you talk about (it is right of the channels button on the TV).

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Another thing we can do to enter the factory menu:

Press on the remote in order those button: up, down, left, right, menu, enter.

This should bring you a menu on screen (factory menu).

Change the ADDR value from watever it is to "FFF". Then save, then without pressing the power button, remove the AC cable for some sec and connect it back. This should put the TV in the state it was when new.

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

I forgot to mention to make sure that once adresse FFF is reached, the DATA need to be made as FF. Also to make the save you have to press enter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Martin !
First, when I turn on my TV, I get a black screen and white DVD letters, then it switches to the Blue Welcome Screen with the letters DVD again.
Second, there in NO Source button on my TV, but a TV-Video button which is to the right of
the channels buttons..
Third: Trying to enter the Factory Menu: I can enter (no problems), the ADDR was 000; I succeeded
to write 00F... How can I write the two other F, to make it FFF ???? I need your help !
Jacques Soucy St-Hyacinthe
June 29 2016
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

ALl that should be done with the left/right/up/down on the remote, i guess as i don't have one at hand to test and they are always a bit fuzzy in technical doc about that. Perhaps there is an invisible cursor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Martin !Could you be more precise about changing Datas when entering the Factory Menu ????How do we achieve going from ...one F to FFF... to change the address to get definitely de TV signal ????And what about that INVISIBLE cursor ? Can we make it VISIBLE, and HOW ????Jacques Soucy St-Hyacinthe.July 1, 2016.
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

That is the problem, i don't have that information. Usually i get into a service menu and eventually get the hang of it (there is no "standard").

Perhaps you have to change each digit individually or perhaps it need to be incremented (Hex value like that go from 8 to 9 to A to B to... and so on to F (the largest value) before going to 0 to 1 to 2 ... etc.

I don't say there is an invisible cursor, i said there might be one. If you got it from 0 to F you are not far from finding how. I often found that giving the remote to someone else to try often help to find new ways to work around an interface.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Martin ! Finally the Factory Menu was the right solution ro recover the TV signal. Thank you so much, Martin.You were very patient and you worked real hard at finding the solution, so I could get both the DVD working and theTV as well.Jacques Soucy St-Hyacinthe July 7, 2016.Thank you very very much
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Awesome! I don't know if this is common for this set. For some peculiar problem like that i always advise to write the solution on paper and stick it on the back of the TV (because "la mémoire est une faculté quie oublie").

Don't forget to rate me when you have time.