Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Our tv won't shut off, it only flashes all different colors.

Customer Question

our tv won't shut off, it only flashes all different colors. only way to shut off is unplug.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Hi , I`m Jack Perhaps I can help you with this problem , please send me a reply when you see this ?I would also require the tv`s model number on the back cover please ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sled3220
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1407sled3220791
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Thanks , this would be a RCA tvLet me check this model and in the mean time try this ;Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.Be right back
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Sorry , this would be a SANSUI ??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you can turn the tv on and watch direct tv, but you can't watch any local or dvds or tapes. but you aren't able to turn it off.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
O.k but you said the screen was flashing full colors ??Do you mean that you actually get a picture ?
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Are you now able to watch direct tv after the reset I just suggested and could not before ?Is that what you mean ?
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
Certainly hope this resets the main boards because there are absolutely no parts for this model .There are very few parts for sansui to start with and zero for this model .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, you turn the tv on and it flahes red, blue and other colors, turn on the direct tv box and it works perfect. change to dvd on another box or try to turn it off and it flashes again and you have to unplug it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it just started this flashing it always worked perfect a couple of weeks ago
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
O.k then this is rather odd as a problemI mean that normally when this self-test mode (color flashing) occurs then you cannot watch anything , it doesn`t stop and this is caused by the main board , namely its eeprom chip software .It used to be turned off the way I will describe below but very likely that the main board would need to be replaced and as I said that board cannot be found "anywhere"Here is a last ditch attempt ;While it does the flashing , on the remote press the ARROW UP then ARROW DOWN , pull out the power cord and wait 20 secs before you try it again .Variation of this is ARROW LEFT then ARROW RIGHT and cycle power againGive it a try but I don`t give this much of a chance
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nope but thanks for trying
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.
No problem , if you can live with it this way then great because there are no parts available anywhere for this model .