Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  ASE cert tech for over 12 years, electronics has been my highest study, 4 years of home electronics
20508815

I am trying to remove the tv mount but both strings broke.

Customer Question

I am trying to remove the tv mount but both strings broke. How do I manually unlock the clamp?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The clamps are locked from the bottom. The pull string broken that was supposed to unclamp the lock from the bottom.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any way to manually unhinge the bottom clamps?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, All mounts are different so it's hard to give you a specific answer. Is the mount an "Articulating" type? If so then pull the TV out and then look at the back to see how to manually flip the lock tabs out to release them. Also, many mounts allow you to slide the TV all the way off by sliding it sideways. I would disconnect all cables to the TV (including the power cord) and see if you have side to side play with the mount. That's about all anyone can offer without knowing the specific Brand and Model of the mount (there are hundreds out there all a little different than the others). Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The tv mount brand is Sanus with two string on the bottom that you have to pull to release the bottom clamps. Both strings broke. The mount does not allow any room in between the tv and the wall making it difficult to squeeze your hand or see between.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay so it's a fixed mount. Are you able to slide the TV, on the mount to one side or the other please?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Not sure on yours, but the current Sanus stand sold at Best Buy has two metal hooks where the strings attach at the bottom of the "Arms" the TV attaches to. It appears you pull these down to be able to then tilt the bottom of the TV out and lift off the mount. So follow with your hands where those strings attached to, grab that piece of metal and pull downwards. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cannot slide the tv off the mount.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
It may not be possible to get your hands up in there- I can't tell how close your TV is to the wall. If you can't try a pair of long needlenose pliers. Those strings simply pull down on metal hooks that are spring-loaded.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Can also try shining a flashlight at the side of the TV. The tops of those hooks are triangles, and with a long enough screwdriver you can also slide into the side of the mount and get between those triangles and the mount on the wall then pry to move those hooks down. You will likely need two people to do this (depending on the size of the TV).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't see any metal hooks.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry, but if you can't see them, then I will need a High Def picture taken of the side of the TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Click on the link, look at the pictures halfway down the page. The middle two pictures show the hooks and how the strings attached: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-tilting-tv-wall-mount-for-most-37-80-flat-panel-tvs-black/3516758.p?id=1219587119822&skuId=3516758&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=e5bfdd32-2690-4387-b59c-cc7d74cb5cde&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg1793&ksdevice=c&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrte4BRD-oYi3y5_AhZ4BEiQAzIFxn0cwNuE9dytvnHkPaq2tUO-U56GSWlnFg_PBXne32YgaAkOh8P8HAQ
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, I can't take a phone call. Please click that link I provided above and view the middle two pictures shown right below the MAIN picture of the mount. Let me know if you can see anything like that.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Do you need further assistance?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no triangle hooks on this model. The string was the only thing connected to the clamp. Since it was disconnected the is no way to unclamp the bottom. Unless there is a manual lever. Please help
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
I'm completely out of ideas here, and will need to opt out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-System-VML5-B1-Premium-Position/product-reviews/B00E1TPAJM
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please read the first and fourth review with the same problem I am having.http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-System-VML5-B1-Premium-Position/product-reviews/B00E1TPAJM
Expert:  Joe replied 11 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today. On these types of situations on fixed mounts your options are very limited, they are limited to the only option pretty much being to use something such as a coat hanger for example (or any flexible but firm wire) to go up fishing per say and grab the release. Once this is accomplished I highly suggest either replacing with a different mount or attach something to the releases that is not going to break instead of the cheap string. Thank you!- JoePlease rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.