Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a Samsung HLS5686W and after replacing the lamp it continues

Customer Question

I have a Samsung HLS5686W and after replacing the lamp it continues to shut itself off after a few seconds. The lamp and standby/temp lights are on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are the lights solid, or flashing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Solid lights standby/temp is red and lamp is yellow
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Are you positive of that?There is no specific status that should produce that combination of solid only lights.Neither is ever flashing?Please unplug power to the tv for 60 seconds then replug and watch the lights carefully.If they don't do anything, press the power button once and watch again.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The standby/temp light was solid and the lamp light was flashing even with the new lamp if I remember correctly. I can check the TV lights in about a day or two if needed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
So it happened the same with both old and new lamp, correct?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
That points to a bad lamp, as the initial indication.Tell me about the new lamp that you got? Where was it purchased, and how much did you spend on it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I ordered from a vendor on Amazon for about $25
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for confirming.Your new lamp is almost certainly defective.You purchased "compatible" generic lamp. They are defective right out of the box in many cases. Even when they do work, picture quality is poor (reduced brightness), lamp life is very short (just a few months) and they can even damage your tv.You should return that lamp and buy a proper OEM grade philips/osram lamp: cost a bit more but it should last years instead of months. Let me know what happens with the tv and lights after installing the correct lamp. Chances are it will work find at that point, but if not we'll work through the process again. Best regards,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Connor?