Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a Sony KDL-46EX500 TV that is clicking when I try to

Customer Question

I have a Sony KDL-46EX500 TV that is clicking when I try to turn it on. The problem is always repeatable: Power on button does not work, but after unplugging and plugging the TV in 2-3 times, the power button & TV will turn on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 7 months ago.
HelloWelcome
Is there any power-light lit or blinking on the set please?
Anthony
This is during the phase where you cant get the set ON
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to upload a video so you can see exactly what happens. How do I upload a video? The "add files" link doesn't appear to work.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
24 March 2016 03:58
The TV is about 3 years old. It has had the problem about 4 months. The power light does not blink in a pattern.
It is solid red when the TV is off. Next I try to power it on with either the remote or the side power button. The TV "clicks" but does not turn on (and the red light stays on and does not blink). Pressing the power button(s) at this point gets no more response or clicks. Then I unplug and replug the power cord from the electrical outlet (a click is heard each time I replug it to the outlet). Then the tv turns on just fine as if nothing was ever wrong.
The following day is like "groundhog day" as in every step above is the same. The steps/issues described above are repeatable every single day. I am guessing there is a faulty board/circuit somewhere that is "reset" successfully by the unplugging and replugging?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is something like this what I need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-KDL46EX500-APS-260-1-474-205-11-Power-Supply-Repair-Kit-KDL46EX400-/191824867049
In the description it lists: "WHEN UNPLUG AND PLUG POWER CORD BACK IN . YOU WILL HEAR RELAY CLICKING NOISE."
This does seem consistent with my issue, but you would know best.
OK I am here just going through this
Yes its very likely to be bad capacitors on the power-board so they need t be visually checked first can you do that? Anthony
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I put the TV back together and remounted it on the wall. But I can do that if needed. What would I look for?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would a voltmeter/multimeter help? (I have a somewhat basic one)
No its a visual check of these devices on the power-board they either leak\balloon up\have raised domed tops http://snag.gy/sLY2F.jpg <<<<click Then you can either fit that kit (soldering needed) OR replace the power-board complete you will get one from shopjimmy.com for about $100 Let me know if you need more help now or later remember the question NEVER closes Please consider rating the answer positively there will be a rating bar of stars usually at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please reply back and I will address any of your concerns Many Thanks Anthony
Is there anything else I can help you with please? Anthony
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am going to have to try your good suggestion another time as I had to step away.
And a non-technical question for you: I assume your good assistance is not an additional fee on top of the one I already paid and then requested to "ask another expert"?
The other expert did not seem to have the same level of knowledge/wisdom that you have (he had me buy a main board that turns out was not the problem).
Your experience is much appreciated.
If you asked another expert (me) that is in addition yes because you have opened a new question and I only get paid by the site when you rate the answer positively, I receive nothing if you do not do that, this is how it works however I am not privileged to any billing you need to speak with admin about that on the homepage