Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

I have 2 lg 50" plasma tvs, different models, different problems.

Customer Question

I have 2 lg 50" plasma tvs, different models, different problems...the older one(don't have the model number handy as its wall mounted) has a green tint to the picture....also, if you halfway tap/rap on the casing, it shuts off and comes back guessing a/some cracked/broken solder joints somewhere? the second, 50pn4500...shuts itself off and back on, when it shuts off you cant reboot it to come back on, had it fixed once, he said he replaced the power supply I believe, that lasted maybe a month...has gotten worse, its off waaayyy more than its on, was told its the "power caps", and they are known for the problem. wondering if I can fix them myself relatively easily...I have some skills....they are in my restaurant and irreplaceable to me as plasmas are no longer made...bummer.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the TV Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: nope, just he needs more info...I don't have it at this time
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi John
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
your response just says Hi John
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
anyone there?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for replying back to me.You were offline when I responded earlier.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
First, the green tint problem - this could be caused by a problem with the input or the input cable; can you try connecting a different input using a different input cable, and let me know if the green tint still exists?Secondly, tapping the TV's casing causes it to shut off and on - this may be due to a loose cable just inside the chassis, or a bad earth connection - you will need to examine inside the area of where the casing is tapped to see what is loose or touching there.Thirdly, the TV that keeps shutting itself off - seems like it has a power supply problem again; the voltage outputs from it can be tested to confirm it if is faulty again, and then it can be repaired or replaced.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I replaced the HDMI cable and the DirecTV box and tried all 3 HDMI inputs still have a green screen. Any other ideas? I will try swapping out the power supply on the other do you have any recommendations on where to buy that? thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
If possible could you attach a photo of the TV with the green tint?Is the on-screen menu also affected by the tint?--------------------------------The 50PN4500 power supply board is available from eBay:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Here are a couple pics. Osd is normal
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Ok, good - if the OSD is normal then the plasma panel is ok. The problem therefore lies with either the input devices or the input board itself.Try connecting a different type of input rather than HDMI and let me know if it displays ok. If it still has a green tint then the main input board is shot.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I connected a dvd to av2 with just a simple video cable. Still green. So does that mean the main input board is bad as you mentioned? If so is that easily bought and replaced?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And what is the exact name of the part? Logic board? Main/Video board? I believe from my paperwork it's a 50pq30 model
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Update... replaced the power supply to no avail red light comes on TV does not
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Yes, if other inputs are also affected then this confirms that the main input board is faulty.The board can be known as the Main/Input/Signal board.They are available on eBay:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I replaced the power supply on the 4500 and it didn't work what else could it possibly be? Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Another faulty board elsewhere in the TV could also force it to go into a "protect" mode, where it does not power on to prevent damage to itself - further diagnostic testing using electronic test equipment would be required to troubleshoot exactly where the problem lies.