Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Trying to get a ge hdtv model d52gw12 repaired. Power light

Customer Question

Trying to get a ge hdtv model d52gw12 repaired. Power light button blinks 3 times when using remote or 9 times if I hold the power button on tv. If and when I get it on shows a perfect picture and will stay til it's turned off. But same problem if I turn it on again.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It sounds like a heat-sensitive problem, if it recurs only after it's turned Off. One of those cases where the set has to be warmed up to work properly. I don't know whether to judge it by the 3 flashes, or the 9 flashes. How many times does it flash if you don't hold the power button on the TV, but only press it firmly once, briefly ? Do you have a service manual for this TV? that could help a lot and save you some money in swapped-in boards that don't fix the problem. And if you have the electronics expertise needed (not too much, mostly how to use and read a voltmeter) it would be a great aid toward fixing it.Shall I find a source or sources for such a service manual, if it is available?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry took so long to reply. When power button is firmly pressed but briefly as well, as instructed in your message, power button still blinks 3 times. I know if this TV can be turned on it will play a perfect picture.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looking for tv manual. Can you also check your resources for a manual. I want to exhaust all options because I know the TV can work and it is a big screen tv. Before I replace it. Thank you for all your help.
Three blinks of the power light, in this context, is of uncertain meaning. The service manual would be of use in that respect. What I can find... is nothing. There are no service manuals available for this model, unfortunately, that I can find after a sufficient search. Inspecting the boards for bulging capacitors (they usually bulge at the top, which ceases to be flat) or for leakage, can lead to replacing those capacitors with exact equivalents in ratings for voltage and microFarads. That can help.Also keeping an eye out for burnt components, and/or brown spots on the reverse sides of circuit boards. These indicate overheating.